Do Guppies School? Are They Compatible With Pea Puffers Or Angelfish?

Guppies work better with Angelfish or Pea puffer

• Pea puffers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fish Breeder

Just wanting to hear if any of you know the answers to these questions!

Thx!

nikm128

Guppies are shoaling meaning they still need groups but they won't display schooling behavior. They can be quite nippy so I'm not sure angels are a great idea. Also puffers should be kept in species only tanks so I don't recommend mixing any of these fish

_IceFyre_

Guppies do not school, but they do interact with other guppies and it’s best to have more than one.
I definitely wouldn’t put them with a pea puffer and keeping them with an angelfish would be risky.

Platylover

As Ice said, they do not school or shoal, rather they are just social fish. They will hang around and interact with eachother, but it is not necessary to have a group of them.

Puffers would kill the guppies. Peas have been known to kill or seriously injure fish much larger than themselves. Having puffers with any other non-puffer fish is a recipe for disaster imo.

Also as I’ve said housing guppies and angels together can be risky as well. It’d be better to find a different fish than those two to have guppies with imo.

wem21

Weren't you the guy who posted another thread about your stock and asked the same question, with the answer being no? I was pretty sure it was a firm no

Platylover

wem21 said:
Weren't you the guy who posted another thread about your stock and asked the same question, with the answer being no? I was pretty sure it was a firm no
Fish breeder just joined today and this is his only post. I don’t believe he’s the same person.

Also, welcome to fishlore fish breeder!

Platylover

wem21 said:
Question - Can I Keep 7 Guppies 3 Pea Puffers 6 Japanese Rice Killifish 4 Pygmaeus Corys 3 Glo Tetra 2 Angelfis

This guy posted yesterday, also new, also asking pretty much the same question...
I have my doubts of people asking the same exact question in the span of at most 2 days
The thread is similar, but it really could just be a quincedence. I’ve been on this site for a few years and I’ve seen stuff like this rather frequent. Two very similar threads and they aren’t by the same people. If you are concerned about it, it’s against the rules to have more than one account for a person. So you can report it to the mods and they can figure out if it’s the same person or not.

DuaneV

Puffers are species only. Theyll kill almost anything else you put with them.

Guppies are notorious fin nippers. They don't school, but theyre a social fish and do interact with one another. If you put them with Angelfish, theyll constantly nip their fins.

nikm128

Yeah, that's what my first answer to the question too. Unfortunately OP hasn't responded yet

ystrout

Guppies don't school. They enjoy other guppies or fish similarly sized to them like tetras/danios.

And by no means should you ever try putting a guppy (or any other fish except maybe a pleco) with a puffer. Pea puffer, GSP, red eye puffer, they'll all kill your guppies in short order.

SuperMon

Schooling/Shoaling is a behavior fish take on, "safety in numbers" is the reason for fish like corydoras to do this, but guppies do not school rather they might pair up, group together or be independent based on a fish's personality.

I've only seen Pea puffers being recommended as single species tank. Puffers in general seem to have limited tank mate options.

Angelfish are a type of cichlid, but pretty docile so maybe, I imagine they can go with a fish faster than them and bigger than their mouth, but it might be a fish to fish case.

nikm128

SuperMon said:
Schooling/Shoaling is a behavior fish take on, "safety in numbers" is the reason for fish like corydoras to do this, but guppies do not school rather they might pair up, group together or be independent based on a fish's personality.

I've only seen Pea puffers being recommended as single species tank. Puffers in general seem to have limited tank mate options.

Angelfish are a type of cichlid, but pretty docile so maybe, I imagine they can go with a fish faster than them and bigger than their mouth, but it might be a fish to fish case.
Angels are the most compatible South American cichlids, but they definitely aren't compatible with guppies and puffers

SuperMon

Oh yes most definitely not the puffer, sorry for not clarifying. Puffer - no, they barely share the tank with their own species from what I hear. Yes it seems tetras are recommended, but not guppies with angelfish

Katie13

I had the same thought when I saw this thread. It was pointed out same question was just asked yesterday 3hrs ago and the OP was last seen online 40 minutes ago and hasn't dreading into things, it's just that it's kind of common and the person behind the other post was given a firm answer numerous times and refused to listen.

Brooklyn Vasquez

Sorry to all about the misunderstanding but this is my mom’s account, she wanted to monitor what I am doing on a website that cause me to not do my homework for the past day. So I told her the website and we made an account for her. We posted together about how I posted it so she would understand. She thought this wasn’t the way she seen it so I posted it to the public and I told her I would go on my account to confirm that this was how it was open to the public like me. I know this against the rules and I am so sorry to all about the misconception. My mom understood what I was doing and she told me that she was not going to use this account. I told her there was no way you could delete it so we asked the moderator flagged the fish breeder profile to permanently ban the account because there would be no use. Again I am so sorry and sorry this turned to an out of topic conversation. I put this out to those who wanted to know what was going on and put the play on. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

So sorry...

Annie59

I have always kept guppies with my angels. I have never seen a nippy guppy in all the years I've had tanks.
They guppies are at risk once the angel grows but I never had that problem either.

JaksAquatics

I had pea puffers with a guppy not saying that it's suitable but as soon as I put it in there the guppy tried to breed with them lol

Oh I forgot to mention that a year or two ago that there were pea puffers with discas and flagfish

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom