Do Guppies need Baby Brine Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Leafray, Aug 8, 2015.

1. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Hey guys
    I have a question for the " guppy pros"
    I was just wondering, do show guppy fry actually need bbs to reach their full potential? I've been culturing daphnia with success ( weekly water changes ) and along with the daphnia, green water. All my fish, guppies and goldfish do great in my pea soup pond without feeding all summer, ( the goldfish actually get fatter lol ). But is there any substitute to bbs? They are quite expensive and can't find decapsulated bbs eggs around here....
    Thanks and advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

My show guppy fry get crushed flakes and pellets just like their moms. No issues with development thus far, but I don't power grow.

BBS and other live foods are generally used by the faster-paced breeders to power grow their fry, letting them reach maturity much faster. I've really found no benefit to doing this, so I just skip it. I only breed for sale, I don't actually show the fish, so there's usually no pressure to get them to a certain size by a certain date.

3. LeafrayValued MemberMember

junebug that's great to know! Everything I read states the need of bbs for the best coloration of fish, so relieved. Thank you!

4. junebugFishlore LegendMember

LOL that's silly. BBS don't enhance color any more than any other quality food. Do you have links to any of the articles you read on it? I'm curious to see their sources.

5. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Lemme try to find them, in the meantime, do you know any other way to make guppy fry grow fast?

6. junebugFishlore LegendMember

The efficiency of power growing is debatable. I find the best way to maintain the fry's health and allow for good growth is regular water changes and high quality food.

7. LeafrayValued MemberMember

As if now, the guppy fry get twenty percent water change twice a week. As for food? Right now using tetra color flakes but Im looking into good
    Food, would you recommend kens guppy food, or omegaļ¼Ÿ

8. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Stop feeding them tetra food. It's garbage disguised as flake food. Get yourself some good quality flakes and crush them. If you have the funds, Lotsoffish Mix is available on Aquabid and is AMAZING fry food, home made by the king of guppy breeders. He's got nice fish too ;)

If you're stuck to buying from a petstore, any flake food with a decent ingredient list will do. I like fluval flakes myself, but Omega One and NLS are both good as well (the ingredient lists are virtually the same between all three). Be sure to read the ingredient list. Anything with a filler as the first ingredient should be something you wouldn't even consider feeding.

9. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice! I mix the tetra stuff with some spiralina flakes, some crushed shrimp pellets and give it a blitz in the food processor, I just had a extra can leftover, do you think that my mix, daphnia, dried blood worms, and edememe and some grated shrimp will help until I get some quality stuff?

10. junebugFishlore LegendMember

If by edememe, you mean edamame, which is soybean, that is something you should avoid feeding your fish. It's "filler" food that gives them very little nutrition.

Honestly throw your tetra flakes away. They're just creating more waste in your fry tanks. You don't need to run anything through a food processor for them, just crush it with your fingers. Daphnia probably won't even need to be crushed. Also should be noted, bloodworms are tasty, but not nutritious. Only feed them as an occasional treat.

11. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Is edamame really a filler food? I was told that it's highly nutritious.... Correct me if I'm wrong but several of my friends and relatives feed their fish edamame..... And as for bloodworms, aren't they high in protein? And my daphnia are fed with sprulina powder for extra nutrition

12. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Bloodworms have very little protein. They're mostly fat. Are you thinking of blackworms? Blackworms are extremely nutritious and a good high protein food.

As for soy, I can't tell you the specifics, but I can tell you it's used as a filler and binding agent in the cheap fish foods. Fish don't digest protein or vitamins from terrestrial sources very well to begin with, but add to that you're talking about a common filler, they're not getting much if anything from it. Foods like that just create more ammonia in your aquarium. Generally you want to avoid fish foods with high wheat and soy content. Look for fish meal, whole fish, shrimp meal or whole shrimp, krill, etc high on the ingredient list. Soy and wheat, if they're even there, should be way down at the bottom of the list.

13. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Great! Thanks for all the info! I usually use kens guppy food but recently just ran out, found a huge stash of tetra fish food.... After I get the order, I'll just throw the food away. In the meantime, what is a high nutrient veggie? I was thinking spinach?

14. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Spinach works, but babies will have a hard time eating it. Just keep them on flakes for now until they're big enough to get their mouths around stuff. And again, they won't digest spinach the same way they would various algae content in fish food...

If you're dead set on making your own food, look into gel food recipes.

15. LeafrayValued MemberMember

No I'm not set on feeding homemade food... Just trying to provide a variety until I get my shipment from kens ;)

16. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Just stick with flakes for a few weeks. It won't hurt anything, will probably do less damage than feeding them "land" food :p

The only fish that really do well on human veggies are strict vegetarian fish like Otos, and various snails.

17. LeafrayValued MemberMember

My Otos LOVE pumpkin and zucchini and spinich, my goldfish willies we thm! ;D

Albino Guppy Galore!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice