Do guppies, endler guppies and platies get along?

Lizzy149

Hello, I have one question. I have some endler guppies and I was thinking about adding some more fish into my aquarium. Can I keep endler guppies with normal guppies and platies?
Thanks for all the answers and tips :)

Tol

Well Known
They pretty much all get along, as long as the endlers can't fit in anyone's mouth they are good. I have never seen a guppy or platy eat an endler but bigger fish sometimes eat smaller fish.

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

Thank you, I'll try to put more plants and hides for baby endlers to hide from bigger fish :)

Flyfisha

Well Known
I have endlers and have had guppies for while.
I didn’t have them in the same tank but my impression is the larger male guppies already are aggressive to each other. Little endler males MIGHT not stand a chance at meal time and would certainly be pushed around in a dominance dance by the tank boss male. Any females would soon be throwing mixed breed fry and you would have in my opinion a tank of rubbish fish. Can you tell I am not in favour of hybrids?

In ideal conditions the endler adults don’t eat their young. The teenage endlers eat a few of their younger brothers and sisters.
My impression is ALL guppies both adult and juvenile consider fry to be tender and delicious.
I am thinking you would end up with mostly guppies that had a polluted bloodline of endler blood. You might enjoy the colours ? It’s not for me to tell you not to mix the blood but I suggest you would have to tell any future buyers what the situation was?
I have seen male guppies swimming with all of their tails ripped off by another male it’s not pretty and the fish dies.

Tol you have never seen a fry eaten ? It’s over in a flash perhaps that’s why? Blink and you missed it.

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

Flyfisha said:
I have endlers and have had guppies for while.
I didn’t have them in the same tank but my impression is the larger male guppies already are aggressive to each other. Little endler males MIGHT not stand a chance at meal time and would certainly be pushed around in a dominance dance by the tank boss male. Any females would soon be throwing mixed breed fry and you would have in my opinion a tank of rubbish fish. Can you tell I am not in favour of hybrids?

In ideal conditions the endler adults don’t eat their young. The teenage endlers eat a few of their younger brothers and sisters.
My impression is ALL guppies both adult and juvenile consider fry to be tender and delicious.
I am thinking you would end up with mostly guppies that had a polluted bloodline of endler blood. You might enjoy the colours ? It’s not for me to tell you not to mix the blood but I suggest you would have to tell any future buyers what the situation was?
I have seen male guppies swimming with all of their tails ripped off by another male it’s not pretty and the fish dies.

Tol you have never seen a fry eaten ? It’s over in a flash perhaps that’s why? Blink and you missed it.
[/QUOTE

Hmmm okay thank you, so what do you recommend? Should I just put some platies in or some neon tetras maybe or both? I'm still learning so I may ask some stupid questions.

Tol

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
Well I have never had any fry I know of? lol Who knows. I just meant that the adults of each generally don't go eating each other much unless there is a big size difference. If any fish can fit in someone's mouth it is likely to end up there at some point.

Lizzy149 said:
Hmmm okay thank you, so what do you recommend? Should I just put some platies in or some neon tetras maybe or both? I'm still learning so I may ask some stupid questions.
What size is your tank, how long has been running, and how many Endlers are in it?

Flyfisha

Well Known
We are all learning Lizzy149 ,
Some of us are just a little further on the path up the mountain that’s all.There are no stupid questions.

Can I ask if you know the hardness of your water please. The GH / general hardness. Knowing if you have soft water would help me offer some advice on fish that are more suitable to your water.

Tol question as to how old the tank is is probably a better place to start.

emeraldking

Well Known
The species you've mentioned can be kept together without any problems. In case of an hierarchy in the tank, it's a matter of time how the harmony will develop. For not always a hierarchy will show up.
Endlers in general won't eat nor chase their fry. if they're mixed with guppy influence, they "might" (so, doesn't have to be) chase and probably eat their fry. But I do have to say that it depends on the kind of guppy wether the adult or juveniles will chase and eat the fry. For there are lots of guppy strains that will leave the fry alone. And yes, guppies and endlers are able to crossbreed. Which you could also have guessed earlier in my reply.

And as what Flyfisha has already mentioned: There are no stupid questions...
And despite of the fact that I'm a well experienced aquarist, also I keep learning... There's almost no end to it...

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

emeraldking said:
The species you've mentioned can be kept together without any problems. In case of an hierarchy in the tank, it's a matter of time how the harmony will develop. For not always a hierarchy will show up.
Endlers in general won't eat nor chase their fry. if they're mixed with guppy influence, they "might" (so, doesn't have to be) chase and probably eat their fry. But I do have to say that it depends on the kind of guppy wether the adult or juveniles will chase and eat the fry. For there are lots of guppy strains that will leave the fry alone. And yes, guppies and endlers are able to crossbreed. Which you could also have guessed earlier in my reply.

And as what Flyfisha has already mentioned: There are no stupid questions...
And despite of the fact that I'm a well experienced aquarist, also I keep learning... There's almost no end to it...
Thank you soo much for your reply.

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

Flyfisha said:
We are all learning Lizzy149 ,
Some of us are just a little further on the path up the mountain that’s all.There are no stupid questions.

Can I ask if you know the hardness of your water please. The GH / general hardness. Knowing if you have soft water would help me offer some advice on fish that are more suitable to your water.

Tol question as to how old the tank is is probably a better place to start.
Thank you. This is a new tank and is running for about 3 weeks now, so I still have some time to decide what to put in it. I don't know the hardness of my water sadly, but I do know that is not that soft. The old tank is like 30 liters and the new one is from 70 - 80 liters. I never actually planed getting endlers but some time ago I bought some plants for a small tank beacause I just wanted to have planted tank but the seller in the shop gave me 2 litle baby endlers for free beacuse she didn't know where to put them, and she said they probablly wouldn't survive, but they did and now I have 10 of them. But I obviouslly wanted to give them more space so I bought a bigger tank now, and I'm looking for tank mates options

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

PerfectSatyr683 said:
How big is the tank you have
I'm not 100% sure, but is probablly from 70 - 80 liters. I probablly won't put endlers with guppies after reading all the tips and reasons, but I'm thinking about putting some platies in it? Maybe?

Flyfisha

Well Known
I have soft water in my town. I am told that most fish can survive in hard water so up to a point you can have many species of fish without doing anything to YOUR water .
Endlers will get along with anything. Only their size limits tank mates that might eat them .

I can’t or won’t tell you what you SHOULD put in your tank. The choice is yours . I have found that having lots of different species in any tank is a compromise . It seems from what I have seen that a tank is easier to feed and look after with just 3 different species. I personally do like bigger schools of any schooling fish. Social fish that need a group of 6 as minimum seem to actually do a lot better with 12 .

I see in your profile you are up to speed on the nitrogen cycle.

OP
Lizzy149

Lizzy149

Flyfisha said:
I have soft water in my town. I am told that most fish can survive in hard water so up to a point you can have many species of fish without doing anything to YOUR water .
Endlers will get along with anything. Only their size limits tank mates that might eat them .

I can’t or won’t tell you what you SHOULD put in your tank. The choice is yours . I have found that having lots of different species in any tank is a compromise . It seems from what I have seen that a tank is easier to feed and look after with just 3 different species. I personally do like bigger schools of any schooling fish. Social fish that need a group of 6 as minimum seem to actually do a lot better with 12 .

I see in your profile you are up to speed on the nitrogen cycle.
Thank you, I will try to do some more research on what to choose, but I will probablly just keep two species for the start, I just have to decide which one

New Threads