Do German blue rams need caves?

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

Simple question.

I've been planning on getting my hands on a pair of GBR's eventually. I will be putting them in a 47 gallon cube aquarium with 2 angels and black phantom and red-eye tetras.

The aquarium will eventually be fully planted with a chunk of driftwood. Right now all I have is a mix of artificial plants and my new water wisteria, red ludwigia and a pathetic-looking java fern.

Would the GBR's need caves if they will have plant cover? Thanks

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I have kept GBRs. I have not experienced that they retreat to caves very often. I've had caves, they just don't use them IMO. They do love to stick close to plant cover though. Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

Thanks for the response. I'm just starting to build up the plants in my tank, and once I'm happy, I'll get the rams.

The tank has been cycled for half a year now, so the rams should do fine. I've also heard that they can be pick eaters at first. I already feed my fish frozen brine shrimp that I thaw and soak as part of their diet (two good-quality flakes and small algae/veggie pellets being the bulk) so should that get the rams eating?

4. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

They are not so much picky as they are slow eaters. If you have other fish you must ensure the rams are getting enough food. Good job in establishing your aquarium, as rams are relatively sensitive.... Especially to changes in water conditions and temperature. They are one of my favorite fresh water fish! Good luck.

5. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

I find that mine don't use a cave much, but they do appreciate access. It's not even necessarily caves that they want, so much as an isolated section. Mine, for instance, will often retreat back into the corner behind my driftwood. They actually laid their eggs there a few months ago. Plants are great for accomplishing that.

6. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have lots of caves for my rams and other than the bolivian, the GBR's and golds all used plant cover.xx

7. Archie1208

Archie1208 Valued Member Member

I have VERY good cage coverage and have never seen them near them. I agree with a comment above...they seem to really like plant refuge more. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum