do fish take over

?

do you find your fish take up alot of time

1. yes

53.8%
  2. no

46.2%
  1. euphiesman Initiate Member

when I say alot of time I don't mean that you find it a chore just that it can sometimes be hard to find time to do major work, ie water changes, tank aranging etc

2. fletch Member Member

not if you look after them regularly

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Yes, sometimes it is a stretch, but it is a labor of love.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yes sometimes it takes alot of my time, but my fish are my de-stressors. I'm always piddling in my tanks so don't tend to let the work pile up.
    Carol

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I only have one 10-gal, and I find myself wishing my other pets didn't take up so much time!--not that I really care.

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

No for me only as Ive only got one 16 gallon tank, but I enjoy my time cleaning it etc.

7. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

I love just messing around with water etc I'm always sticking my feet in the pond (see photos in the photo section) or cleaning out one of the tanks - for me its a de stressor too :)

8. tennhound Initiate Member

If i can manage to do a little every few days ( trim plants ect.) then my water changes don't take me long at all.

MARIE

9. dahly Member Member

I've been in the hobby 2 months and have enjoyed nearly every minute of it. I like taking care of my fish and spend much more time watching them, than working on their needs. It's fun!

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

It is like a second job.
    But one i enjoy.
    About 2 hours work a day and 4-6 on Sunday.

Dino

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

nah! not really i enjoy it ;D

12. dano569 Member Member

i spend about 1 to 3 hours cleaning and alot of time just sitting there watching them.it's better than t.v. ;D

13. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

No, they are my "job", my friends, my little family and my hobby all in one.  I am at home nearly 24/7 and they keep me company when I am for the most part alone here.  The time I spend with them is a real joy.  I talk to them and have been known to "sing" to them.  :p(believe it or not they seem to like music.)  I put the television on the Animal Planet for them or I put the Aquarium DVD in for them and the DO watch.  Azul has even flared at some of the fish.  :eek:   It is SO hard not to spoil them and do something like overfeeding (I was already in trouble with that in Azul's case and had to correct it.  :-[ ) when I know "tough love" is what is called for.  They are just like my kids and probably just as loved, so I could never accuse them of taking what I freely give.   :-*

Shalom,

Rose   :)

14. MagpieTear Well Known Member Member

I only spend about 2 hours (at a relaxed pace) on my tank a week doing actual "work" on it. That is small in comparison to the amount of time I watch the fish, fiddle with the plants, laughing at the corys fight the ghosties for pellets and whatnot. If it were more "work" I doubt it would have held my attention this long.

15. Allie Fishlore VIP Member

We kinda spread the work out between the two of us...but yes it takes up a lot of our time. Between setting up a tank, feeding fish, buying & selling fish & fish stuff, rearranging the tank and reading up on fish related topics. And all the time spent just staring at the tanks.
    You could say when do we have time for other stuff? :;laughing

16. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

It takes a lot of time, but I love every minute of it. When water changes become laborous it makes it so worth it to see the fishies swimming around happily afterwards. I think to be in this hobby, you have to love the work.

17. COBettaCouple Fishlore Legend Member

They do take up a lot of time, but it's worth it to see all the fish happy in healthy tanks. :;th

18. Oil_Fan Well Known Member Member

I said yes it does but I don't consider it a chore. I enjoy it. Some days it's a good 2 or 3 hours. Others hardly anything. But I like it and they're so cool to watch.

19. lalynya Member Member

It does take alot of time butr its time I enjoy so its a good thing..It takes up a lot of time not just because of maitenaince but also because I sometimes get mesmerized and cant seem to stop staring at the dand fish for long periods of time.

20. tkfury Member Member

I'm sure my filter sizes have a lot to do with it and I have a few nice clean up crews but I can't say it takes me long to do any maintance. I know right now I've been finding it a little hard since I can hardly stand or walk but my family has been helping me with the basics (feeding them, testing the water, checking in on them, making sure the heaters are staying constant, etc).

I learned a long time ago that pets are big responsibilities, especially ones who are 100% depentant on you. If there comes a time when I start considering it a bother to keep up the work I think its time I find a better home for my little guys ^_~