Do Fish Swim Into Filters?

Kat129

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Daft question.

My filter hangs on the back of the tank but is open at the top.

Are my fish (when I finally get them) likely to be stupid enough to swim/jump into the filter? How can I stop them?

Hopefully I can attach a photo to this message but I am not great at things like this so apologies if I fail.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Daft question.

My filter hangs on the back of the tank but is open at the top.

Are my fish (when I finally get them) likely to be stupid enough to swim/jump into the filter? How can I stop them?

Hopefully I can attach a photo to this message but I am not great at things like this so apologies if I fail.
Most likely, no, but it's happened. Also, depends on the type of fish. Some are more likely to jump than others. Do you have a lid for the tank?

Kat129

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Last edited by a moderator:

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had a ropefish try (and fail) to swim into he outtake on my canister filter. HOB I've never had a problem with. If any do try to make a break for it, they're more likely to hit the floor over the filter.

If your worried, put some netting (I LOVE the green fish net kind) over the top just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes. The tank has a lid
I'd be more worried about them jumping out but since you have a lid it should be fine.
None yet. Hoping to get neon tetras and endlers
The tetras have been known to be jumpers and if the endler is a guppy/endler crossbreed they can be a bit jumpy. If purebred endler then not so much.

If you're worried about it being a possibility, I'd suggest just getting a mesh bag or netting that you can attach to the top. I'd also make sure it's tight enough that if they do jump onto it they could flip themselves back off instead of sinking into the netting and getting trapped.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My Endlers and endler hybrids like to swim in the flow of their filter, but I've never actually seen them go in it. To be safe, you could attach pantyhose or some kind of mesh over the intake.

SuperK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had a fish sucked into an intake but not jumped to a filter, however if you're worried I'd say net it. Depends how big your fish are though. Bigger fish likely won't really achieve much but smaller ones could get stuck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom