Do Fish Swim Into Filters?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kat129, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Kat129Valued MemberMember

Daft question.

My filter hangs on the back of the tank but is open at the top.

Are my fish (when I finally get them) likely to be stupid enough to swim/jump into the filter? How can I stop them?

Hopefully I can attach a photo to this message but I am not great at things like this so apologies if I fail.

Attached Files:

2. vijay3242Well Known MemberMember

What type of fish do you have, it mostly depends on what fish you have. Usually loaches and fish like that will.

3. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Most likely, no, but it's happened. Also, depends on the type of fish. Some are more likely to jump than others. Do you have a lid for the tank?

4. Kat129Valued MemberMember

Yes. The tank has a lid

None yet. Hoping to get neon tetras and endlers

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I had a ropefish try (and fail) to swim into he outtake on my canister filter. HOB I've never had a problem with. If any do try to make a break for it, they're more likely to hit the floor over the filter.

If your worried, put some netting (I LOVE the green fish net kind) over the top just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

I'd be more worried about them jumping out but since you have a lid it should be fine.
    The tetras have been known to be jumpers and if the endler is a guppy/endler crossbreed they can be a bit jumpy. If purebred endler then not so much.

If you're worried about it being a possibility, I'd suggest just getting a mesh bag or netting that you can attach to the top. I'd also make sure it's tight enough that if they do jump onto it they could flip themselves back off instead of sinking into the netting and getting trapped.

7. _IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

My Endlers and endler hybrids like to swim in the flow of their filter, but I've never actually seen them go in it. To be safe, you could attach pantyhose or some kind of mesh over the intake.

8. SuperKWell Known MemberMember

I've had a fish sucked into an intake but not jumped to a filter, however if you're worried I'd say net it. Depends how big your fish are though. Bigger fish likely won't really achieve much but smaller ones could get stuck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice