Do Fish Sleep

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Valued Member Member

Hi... just wondering if they sleep and if so how

2. mclemente06

mclemente06 Valued Member Member

I don't necessarily know about sleeping, but they do rest. You won't really be able to tell though, fish have no eyelids.

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

They dont nessecarily sleep, but they do rest which is the same as us sleeping. Their eyes will always stay open obviously they don't have eye lids , but you will notice they will be less active just look like their floating in place , some will lay down on the gravel ect..

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Not really sleeping, but they either float around and twitch once in a while (at least thats what my tetras do) or stay at the bottom motionless.

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Valued Member Member

Huh interesting... thanks!

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I agree, not exactly sleeping as they still seem to be aware of their surroundings (if anything it is easier to scare them when they are sleeping). How they rest depends on the fish. My Mollys just sit in the sand while my Barbs float in a 45 angle and move their fins every now and then to remain in their place.

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

My betta does go into a resting state similar to sleep... In fact I actually have to use quite some effort to wake him up!

8. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Lol, I was wondering why my pearl gourami stays still on some of the plants from 10:00 PM to around 5:00 AM daily :p

9. F

Fishdude846 Valued Member Member

When I had tiger barbs they would all float nose-down near the bottom at lights out and stay that way until morning.

10. R

RyanLewis Valued Member Member

My Betts "sleeps" on a floating plastic plant every night

11. EmmaBudgie

EmmaBudgie Valued Member Member

My guppy lay on the substrate really still at night :) then they wake up slowly and get more active as the morning goes on

12. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

My guppies either lay on the bottom or float at the top. 1st time I saw this was right after a WC and I thought I killed the whole lot of them... fish are so amusing sometimes

13. SomethingsFishy1

SomethingsFishy1 Valued Member Member

My cardinal and colombian tetras fade away their colors I turn off the lights at night. It's pretty cool how they could change their colors to hide from predators when they rest