Do fish sleep at the surface of the tank?

JoshAlvarez
I just added 2 new tetras today and I noticed that at night that my red glo tetra is swimming at the surface and appears to be sleeping like that or maybe not it’s going around the whole tank like that I checked my water and the quality is good what could this mean?

pagoda
Probably helping itself to biofilm, alot of fish do that when lights are out or when its quiet

JPH1970
Mine did the same thing today and as soon as I turned the lights on, they scattered

JoshAlvarez
pagoda said:
Probably helping itself to biofilm, alot of fish do that when lights are out or when its quiet
And what if I don’t have biofilm?

pagoda
JoshAlvarez said:
And what if I don’t have biofilm?
Every aquarium has it...not always visible but its there

Eldy
My fish sleep every where! Normally they try to find the low current area. My tetras seem to stay to the top where as my mollies go to the bottom. And my bala sharks just stare at rocks in the middle of the tank. So freaky wierd when they first did it. And the balas don't care what time it is for sleep.

MacZ
They only do that in the morning?

Actually that points to oxygen deficiency. During the night oxygen levels usually go down, especially in tanks with live plants. Fish with damaged gills (either with acute or recently cured gill flukes and ich-survivors) can be found at the surface first when oxygen levels go down, healthy fish only follow when the oxygen levels are really insufficient.

jtjgg
i have a comet goldfish that does that in the back left corner, just floats motionless.

Latest threads

Top Bottom