Do fish show physical signs of aging?

Frisbee

So, one of my bettas will be turning 3 this year. I got him at a petco as a baby and he was my first betta ever. Over the last year, he has slowly been getting more and more blind. Now he is almost completely blind and must be hand-fed.

He still seems healthy, but I’ve noticed his fins don’t seem as strong. He tears them easier and they generally are looking thinner and paler then they did when he was younger. He is a much slower swimmer then he used to be.

It’s been leading me to wonder if he is aging. He is a chain pet store plakat that I got for $3, so I didn’t really expect him to have a super long lifespan, but still, is 2.5 young for a betta to be getting decrepit? Or is it normal?

For extra information, he has lived in a planted 10 gallon his whole life until recently I divided it and added more plants. Temp is 80-84° (depending on time of year) and he is fed primarily frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp with the occasion color enhancing pellet.

He is actually the oldest fish I own, so I haven’t really dealt with aging in fish before.

Ouse

Bettas can live for two to five years so I think yours is just old. Most fish do show signs of ageing, such as change/loss of colour and becoming less active. I don’t think that ripped fins are a symptom of ageing though.

Upvote 0

betta06

he sounds like he is getting old. my old bettas where pretty much the same.

here are some things you may start noticing
curling fins/ragged fins
blindness
they will rest a lot more
and lose some colour

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Very sad when it happens. One of my bolivian rams went yesterday due to old age - he had lost colour and was a lot less active. Id have said he was 3.5 to 4 years old which is fairly good going for a bolivian.

there was a moment where his old sparring partner nudged him as if to say ‘good game’ and that was that. The other one is about the same age so i expect him to go soon too.

Upvote 0

Ouse

I’ve definitely noticed my fish get old not long before they pass away. One of my harlequin rasboras died recently and it was losing colour and the ability to swim. I hate having to lose members of the harlequin gang! :(

I also had a huge livebearer hybrid who gradually lost his buoyancy and died one morning after living for only a couple years... some fish don’t live for long!

All of this reinforces the idea that your betta is just getting to be an old boy. It will happen and it’s to be expected.

Upvote 0

Frisbee

Bettas can live for two to five years so I think yours is just old. Most fish do show signs of ageing, such as change/loss of colour and becoming less active. I don’t think that ripped fins are a symptom of ageing though.
He doesn’t have ripped fins all the time, it’s more that his fins are thinner and seem to tear a little easier on less hard objects then they used to.
he sounds like he is getting old. my old bettas where pretty much the same.

here are some things you may start noticing
curling fins/ragged fins
blindness
they will rest a lot more
and lose some colour
Yeah, that’s pretty much exactly what he is going through.

This just makes me worry how much time he has left. I love him dearly and watching him get old is hard. I’m hoping he’ll at least reach his 3rd birthday in October.

I know it’s natural, but it’s still slightly depressing.

Upvote 0

betta06

He doesn’t have ripped fins all the time, it’s more that his fins are thinner and seem to tear a little easier on less hard objects then they used to.

Yeah, that’s pretty much exactly what he is going through.

This just makes me worry how much time he has left. I love him dearly and watching him get old is hard. I’m hoping he’ll at least reach his 3rd birthday in October.

I know it’s natural, but it’s still slightly depressing.
my beta lived a whole year after showing quite a few symptoms of old age! he died of dropsy that was probable caused by his age as he was 5!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingHarpoon
Replies
Views
DillonPhoenix
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior