Do fish need water to survive? - Page 2

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several Rivulus species that are known to leave the water regularly. One famous collector found a hole filled with water less than 12 inches across, and it was occupied by a large number of Rivulus rectocaudatus. The nearest body of water to this hole was over a kilometer. Quite a trip for a 2-3 inch fish.

A friend had a tank with 6-8 Rivulus harti in it. They liked to lay on top of a large piece of styrofoam, even laying on top of one another. I actually have a photo of this, but it's not real clear. Mine used to jump up and stick to the cover glass for no reason. They would stay there for hours at a time. And a friend in Canada had some of this species jump out of the tank in his basement. He later found them in a wet spot on the floor, and found that they had actually been reproducing there!

RDcompton03

Reaction score
so short answer yes they all need water to survive. Even though some have adaptations that allow them to live out of water for periods, ultimately they have to go back to or get water to survive. Even those that can get much of their oxygen from surface air, lay it on the kitchen counter for a day and see what happens to it. No dont do that because it will die.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
Funny story: I actually used to have this regular dream as a kid that my goldfish were swimming in air. Not suffocating or anything, just chilling and blowing bubbles. Man I had an over active imagination :rolleyes:

I know this thread is a joke, but I have to come out here with my all out you-must-be-fun-at-parties character :p
Not any longer than other fish :rolleyes: I own axolotls and I'd say they're more likely to die from an incident that involves them being removed from water than our other fish with those fluffy gills.

Yea. If I were fish I'd want to have a labyrinth organ :p It makes them like some sort of magical mix between a fish and a... well, an animal :hilarious:
I agree with u mate

Cartersauce12

Reaction score
SeaMonkey06 said:
Funny story: I actually used to have this regular dream as a kid that my goldfish were swimming in air. Not suffocating or anything, just chilling and blowing bubbles. Man I had an over active imagination :rolleyes:

I know this thread is a joke, but I have to come out here with my all out you-must-be-fun-at-parties character :p
Not any longer than other fish :rolleyes: I own axolotls and I'd say they're more likely to die from an incident that involves them being removed from water than our other fish with those fluffy gills.

Yea. If I were fish I'd want to have a labyrinth organ :p It makes them like some sort of magical mix between a fish and a... well, an animal :hilarious:
I actually recently had a dream that my betta fish was swimming through the air and it kinda freaked me out because it seemed so real during the dream

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never dream of fishes but i had a cat that probably dreamed about fishes because the minute he would wake up he'd be up on the tank fishing. For all the hours fishing I should have showed him some pity cause he managed to get wet a few times but never managed to actually catch anything. What can you say when a guppy out smarts a cat.

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thibault Drake said:
I think bettas have evolved to not even need water now
Preach! I had mine with no water and he lived to the ripe old age of fifteen minutes. Don't know what all these people are talking about when they say they need like tanks and stuff.

New Threads