Do fish need water to survive?

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI everyone,
Do fish need water to survive? I was just wandering, you see I always thought that they flew. I know some types walk like the bristle-feet pleco. Any ideas?

APRIL FOOLS!!! sorry

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Myyyman said:
HI everyone,
Do fish need water to survive? I was just wandering, you see I always thought that they flew. I know some types walk like the bristle-feet pleco. Any ideas?

APRIL FOOLS!!! sorry
My guppies wish they could fly when they see me put food in the tank, lol. They go crazy for food

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
exalotels can be out of water for 15 minutes the mexacain walking fish

OP
Myyyman

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There you go, April fools is educational.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tropical fish can live for months out of water

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Catfish can stay out of water for a long time. I've also seen people with archerfish that have incredible aI'm lol, (hence their name)

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't forget about frankenfish! Snakeheads are know to "walk on land" to another pond and bullheads can survive weeks buried in mud after their ponds dry up

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Sadly all of the golden zebra loaches that have managed to jump out of the tank have managed to die before I found them. Would be nice if they could manage to live without water.... at least long enough for me to return them to the tank.

Cartersauce12

Reaction score
I got a betta fish like a week ago and got his tank all set up the same night but since I had to let the water sit I decided to transfer him from the cup he was in to the tank in the morning. I wanted him to feel like he had a little more room than how much he had in the cup (or something like that. In hind site I'm not really sure what was going through my head). So I took the lid off of the cup, not thinking that it could end badly, and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up to a weird sound but I didn't think much of it. When I had fully woken up I realized that he wasn't in the cup anymore! As I was panicking I saw him on the dresser next to the cup, I then quickly swept him off the dresser into my other hand (where he started flopping again), and put him back in. He just started swimming around again like nothing had happened. He seems to be doing fine in his tank now. That was definitely a scary moment for me. I'm not sure how long he was out of water but I feel like I got really lucky.

OP
Myyyman

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cool, yeah bettas are known for their labirynth organs. Is this tank cycled though? Usually you have to let the tank sit for a while. Good to know he survived though, what noise did he make, I know gouramis can vocalise.

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know this thread is a joke, but plenty of fish species can survive out of water for extended periods of time.
Once there was a betta in a middle school classroom. Someone left a candle from an art project alight, and the candle fell over, lighting some papers on fire. The conflagration grew until it reached the betta's tank. Miraculously, the heat from the fire cracked the tank and the resulting flood completely put out the fire. Thanks to it's ability to gulp air, the betta survived. Firefighters arrived to find him flopping on the ground. They rescued him and, after getting a new home, he got back on the clock as the classroom pet.
True story.

Cartersauce12

Reaction score
Myyyman said:
Cool, yeah bettas are known for their labirynth organs. Is this tank cycled though? Usually you have to let the tank sit for a while. Good to know he survived though, what noise did he make, I know gouramis can vocalise.
I don't think that he made any noises. I'm pretty sure that the sound of him jumping out of the water and on to the dresser is what woke me up. And to answer your other question I'm pretty sure that his tank is cycled although I may have missed something. The water seems like it's fine.

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cartersauce12 said:
I got a betta fish like a week ago and got his tank all set up the same night but since I had to let the water sit I decided to transfer him from the cup he was in to the tank in the morning. I wanted him to feel like he had a little more room than how much he had in the cup (or something like that. In hind site I'm not really sure what was going through my head). So I took the lid off of the cup, not thinking that it could end badly, and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up to a weird sound but I didn't think much of it. When I had fully woken up I realized that he wasn't in the cup anymore! As I was panicking I saw him on the dresser next to the cup, I then quickly swept him off the dresser into my other hand (where he started flopping again), and put him back in. He just started swimming around again like nothing had happened. He seems to be doing fine in his tank now. That was definitely a scary moment for me. I'm not sure how long he was out of water but I feel like I got really lucky.
Hi Cartersauce12, welcome to the forum! I'm glad your betta's alright.

It says in your profile that you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is - you're going to want to read up on that, it's one of the most important things to know about in the aquarium.

Unless you got filter media from someone, (filter media, and not just some "cycled" water or tank gunk) you're going to need to build up bacteria in your tank to process ammonia. It can be easier to do without fish, but that's fine, you're just doing a fish-in cycle now. This is for your benefit more than the fish, because your end goal is to keep ammonia and nitrites at undetectable levels. Without the bacteria, you'll need to do frequent, (possibly daily) water changes to keep ammonia down. A betta is a good first fish because they're hardier than some other fish, so they won't just up and die the first time you have an ammonia spike.

How big is the tank? A 10 gal is best for beginner betta owners because there's more room for error, although your betta will want a lot of places to hide.

Good luck with your new betta!

As I side note, as much as I love it I think your profile pic gave me a heart attack. I genuinely could not imagine seeing anything from that fandom on here, I almost died.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Myyyman said:
HI everyone,

APRIL FOOLS!!! sorry
Funny story: I actually used to have this regular dream as a kid that my goldfish were swimming in air. Not suffocating or anything, just chilling and blowing bubbles. Man I had an over active imagination :rolleyes:

johnbetta said:
exalotels can be out of water for 15 minutes the mexacain walking fish
I know this thread is a joke, but I have to come out here with my all out you-must-be-fun-at-parties character :p
Not any longer than other fish :rolleyes: I own axolotls and I'd say they're more likely to die from an incident that involves them being removed from water than our other fish with those fluffy gills.

sulucanaC said:
I know this thread is a joke, but plenty of fish species can survive out of water for extended periods of time.
Once there was a betta in a middle school classroom. Someone left a candle from an art project alight, and the candle fell over, lighting some papers on fire. The conflagration grew until it reached the betta's tank. Miraculously, the heat from the fire cracked the tank and the resulting flood completely put out the fire. Thanks to it's ability to gulp air, the betta survived. Firefighters arrived to find him flopping on the ground. They rescued him and, after getting a new home, he got back on the clock as the classroom pet.
True story.
Yea. If I were fish I'd want to have a labyrinth organ :p It makes them like some sort of magical mix between a fish and a... well, an animal :hilarious:

OP
Myyyman

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m surprised the rope fish hasn’t been mentioned yet. They have actual lungs.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah, Erpetoichthys calabaricus. They remind me a lot of eels :eek:. Their fins are laughable compared to their body size, and it makes them even more cute. I personally wouldn't want to own one, but I can see why others would :shame:

So our top list of fish tank mock this mock thread:

Just because they can:
Rope Fish

Anabantoidei:
Bettas
Gourami's

Yeah not many. Would Mudskippers count as 'fish'?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom