Do fish like Music?

Gwenz
Hi, I was just wondering if fish liked music because I play the flute and I usually practice in the room where I have put my tank. Would it be OK if I still practiced in the same room or should I play it in another room, as it might scare the fish?

Thanks
Gwenz

newbie101
I play flute too
It won't scare the fish.

Dino
Any music or other sounds, should be ok as long as it is not loud enough to set up vibrations in the tank.

dino

0morrokh
yes, don't play any loud music in a room with fish as it will cause vibrations and freak out the fish. But I don't think a flute would be a problem.

Gwenz
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't sacare them. I'm glad to hear it won't! ;D

Gwenz

chickadee
I sing to mine and they have their favorite songs (I know now everyone will be looking for a close funny farm to place me into, but confession is good for the soul).

Rose

newbie101
hehehe...Rose loves her bettas! They are so spoiled...I bet they are the happiest bettas in the country because of it!

kathyshovel
I have to ask do fish like music? as I love it have a wide range of taste ,list to opera ,progressive metal ,metal black sabbath (glen hughes ,tony iommI are fav) apocalyptica ,opeth the lists goes on an on that what kids have done to me lol they call me metal mummy lol ,but some of it has lots of bass ,and I like it loud so does that upset fish ,I have other pets (major mitchell cockatoo)that's lives inside and he loves it (I think !) I have seen lots of tanks in family room where the tv is ,I have read that fish like peaceful en/ so what is the the view on music for fish ?thanks looking forward to replys

Mike19
I wouldn't know, although the vibrations may scare some of the shy fish, but if you have zebra Danios then you would think they are rockers because of their mosh pit like movements lol.

Butterfly
I would think if it's loud or chaoatic it might frighten them. Kind of like bumping their tank with sound waves. soothing sounds might be enjoyed though.
carol

here_fishy_fishy24
I've thought of that. I have my tank in the living room, and I rarely turn on my stereo, and if I do I make sure the subs not to loud. If your ears are underwater sound waves are a lot louder, especially the lower frequencies. So just imagine how the fish feel. But that's why I have a sub in my vehicle.

catfishtabbi
I have a 50 gallon bowfront next to my stereo system, U play loud rock music and it is true my gouramis jump alot. They're always out in the open and eat well, as well I have no aggression in my tank, so I believe there's no cause for alarm. Still not sure of their opinion though.

rainman
My old Fiddler crab "mysterio" loved music, he used to go to the highest point in my tank and "conduct" my variation of Toccata and Fugue! (Phantom of the opera) I can't tell if my fish like or hate it, but I can tell that they don’t mind that I play.

Martinismommy
I sure hope they do because I have 2 tanks in my office/music room where Steve plays guitar everyday!

Blub
My PC is like my personal Juke Box and it is situated right next to my 12gal... I tend to play all kinds of Indie (just ask and I'll name 50 odd underground indie bands of the top of my head for you!), Rock, a tiny bit of Metal, Acoustic, Electronica & Pop... They don't seem to care! As I type, I am watching rummy-nose tetras dart around in the tank (its a QT) to Death Cab For Cutie (Indie band)!

pinkfloydpuffer
It was 100 degrees as we sat beneath the willow tree...

I think mine are okay with it. I play my bass guitar with my big huge amp in the same room and they don't seem to mind.

ninni
I have to say that my Black moor and Ranchu love classical music, they rub there tummies on the glass where I put the speaker...or maybe they just want me to take it away??

Jonah
None of mine seem to mind very much to listening to some classic rock or Blues.

Dean
Is it too chessy to say I think that they'd like to listen to Phish? I sure do.

bettafish2816
I think my fish like it when I leave music on, but I generally leave on either classical music or anything that's purely instrumental

AquarAdvent
When I kept platies one would always swim to the corner of the tank near my bed when my radio alarm went off, so I guess he liked it! Strangely, my betta seems to like music but seems to especially "wiggle" when I'm playing Dr. Dog!

tigerrr
I play guitar to my fish. I think she likes it because she always swims to the edge of her bowl, and I noticed that her tail sways to the music!

coolio3991
So I'm sitting here watching my fish after a big water change listening to disturbed. and all of my fish moved close to the glass and they looked happier. so do fish like music? Lol seams like it.

MacZ
Fish react to vibration and can often hear quite well. If they actually like music... nobody knows for sure and I guess it is hard to find patterns.

BigManAquatics
If they don't like Pantera, though, do you want that kind of negativity in your life? :)

coolio3991
If they don't like Pantera, though, do you want that kind of negativity in your life? :)
Nope if they dont they are gone lol.
My black molles come straight to the glass when I put my phone near the tank. And sit there bobbing up and down lol. My zebra danios swim almost like there dancing. My main tetras look at me like I'm about to feed them lol. Right before feading my fish I knock on the glass then put the food right above were I knock. Now every time I knock they come straight to me. Its actually really cool to see. My molles are already off eating. But in that short period of time almost every fish I have came to the glass lol

It wont let me post the video which sucks.

ForceTen
Mine seem to really enjoy the big water change. They look more vibrant and get more active. Water changes are good for everybody!

BigManAquatics
Nope if they dont they are gone lol.
My black molles come straight to the glass when I put my phone near the tank. And sit there bobbing up and down lol. My zebra danios swim almost like there dancing. My main tetras look at me like I'm about to feed them lol. Right before feading my fish I knock on the glass then put the food right above were I knock. Now every time I knock they come straight to me. Its actually really cool to see. My molles are already off eating. But in that short period of time almost every fish I have came to the glass lol

It wont let me post the video which sucks.
Upload the video to youtube or something then you can link it here.

WRWAquarium
I remember danios seemed to like house music when that was all I played very loudly in my teenage bedroom

bettafairy
My speaker is close to some of my tanks, and whenever I play music I notice my bettas tend to be more active, swimming about and somewhat bobbing to the beat. It’s pretty adorable.

coolio3991
Mine seem to really enjoy the big water change. They look more vibrant and get more active. Water changes are good for everybody!
Mine definitely love 50-70% water changes. All of my fish swim in and out of the python while it drains and fills. And my shrimp come out of hiding right after the water change.
My speaker is close to some of my tanks, and whenever I play music I notice my bettas tend to be more active, swimming about and somewhat bobbing to the beat. It’s pretty adorable.
I've noticed that about most of my fish too.
I remember danios seemed to like house music when that was all I played very loudly in my teenage bedroom
That's cool. I used to listen to dubstep music and jump style music a lot but I didnt own fish then. Now I listen to a lot of country rap. artists like ryan upchurch and Adam calhoun and Tyson james and burden. i dont really listen to much else now.
Upload the video to youtube or something then you can link it here.
I would but I'm not allowed on YouTube anymore because of a few comments I made about our rights being inalienable

BlackOsprey
I don't think fish comprehend or enjoy music in a way comparable to humans. They definitely have the sensory organs to detect vibrations, so music (or any sound) will register to them in some way. However, the water is going to really distort that sound, and *very* few animals can actually comprehend rhythm, let alone actively move to it. The very few that can (elephants, humans, parrots) have extremely different brains from fish, as well as lifestyles that depend heavily on comprehending and replicating very complex noises in order to communicate with eachother.

So yeah, maybe the fish will like how the vibrations feel or something. They just won't be hearing what you are, or understanding it in any way like we do, or dancing.

coolio3991
I don't think fish comprehend or enjoy music in a way comparable to humans. They definitely have the sensory organs to detect vibrations, so music (or any sound) will register to them in some way. However, the water is going to really distort that sound, and *very* few animals can actually comprehend rhythm, let alone actively move to it. The very few that can (elephants, humans, parrots) have extremely different brains from fish, as well as lifestyles that depend heavily on comprehending and replicating very complex noises in order to communicate with eachother.

So yeah, maybe the fish will like how the vibrations feel or something. They just won't be hearing what you are, or understanding it in any way like we do, or dancing.
Well I believe fish can enjoy music. I've watched them while playing music and they all seam to enjoy it well most a few didnt care for it. I know fidh arent like us. But they are themselves they have personalities and feelings. I know not like ours. I'm not trying to compare them to us.

Akeath
It's likely the water changes that has got the fish all active and frisky. They feel better with cleaner water. In the wild, fresh water usually comes from rain, which can not only make the water cleaner and healthier but are also often accompanied by bugs being washed in, which makes it a good time for fish to look around for some tasty morsels. Water changes can also trigger mating behavior, which will have fish darting around and showing off to each other. After a water change is one of my favorite times to watch my fish.

Fish would experience a stereo completely differently than most humans would. First, sounds travel differently through air than through water. Low sounds travel much better through water than through air, and so fish have evolved to have a lower range of hearing. Added to that, the music would have to travel through the air, through the glass, then through the water to the fish. So that means that what gets to the fish isn't the whole song, but mostly the bass. Fish also haven't been observed to have a sense of rhythm. They experience vibrations as a whole differently from humans, too. We mostly sense vibration through our ears. Fish can hear, but their primary sense of vibrations is through their lateral line. The lateral line is easily a fish's primary sense, too. For humans, that is sight, but for fish it is vibrations through the lateral line. They can easily tell where a single moving thread is from across a large tank based on the vibrations that go from the moving thread through the water to their lateral line. Because of that, fish often respond to vibrations as their primary sense. The bass from the music would likely come across to them then as a huge, unseen creature moving around and thus creating lots of vibration.

Some fish will get curious and come closer to try to find out what that cause of the big vibration is and come up to the glass - especially if they've been conditioned that when they hear a huge creature approaching the tank they get food (ie. they remember that when a to them enormous human comes up and they feel the vibrations of their steps, that's when the fish food gets dropped in). Other fish may become skittish or hide because a creature large enough to create those kind of vibrations could easily eat them. For especially skittish fish, regular large vibrations can be stressful, which is one of the reasons why it is recommended not to put a fish tank directly on a speaker or t.v. (although water not mixing with electronics is another factor, there). Especially skittish fish, such as Hatchetfish, may actually be stressed enough by strong, loud vibrations caused by music and foot steps that they jump trying to escape what they see percieve as a large, unseen predator, which can result in them either leaping out of the tank or slamming against the hood so hard they hurt themselves. If you see a fish darting around frantically while listening to music they, too, are likely trying to escape from whatever's causing all those massive vibrations.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gamer
Replies
Views
Mary765
Replies
Views
Adriifu
  • Question
Replies