Do Fish Learn "to Stand Up For Themselves"?

ajgravedigger13

Active Member
Member
Messages
324
Reaction score
58
I got a firemouth that won't leave my rainbow cichlid alone and it's only this fish that he targets. I recenlty learned that FM's can be a little aggressive towards fish of the same family and the rainbow is in the same family. I just don't know what to do to help this situation other than give it time. :/
 

hooked-worm77

Active Member
Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
22
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
Just started
Chasing is normal in cichlids, however, if you see fin damage or lip locking there could be a real issue. Giving it time is not the best case in that situation as the dominant one will end up killing the less dominant. Do you know the sex of the two cichlids? It could be that if they are opposite sex the male will try to harass the female to mate
 

JesseMoreira06

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,516
Reaction score
1,878
Experience
More than 10 years
ajgravedigger13 said:
I got a firemouth that won't leave my rainbow cichlid alone and it's only this fish that he targets. I recenlty learned that FM's can be a little aggressive towards fish of the same family and the rainbow is in the same family. I just don't know what to do to help this situation other than give it time. :/
How long have they been together in the tank? give it a few days if you don't see any actual damage.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
A

ajgravedigger13

Active Member
Member
Messages
324
Reaction score
58
JesseMoreira06 said:
How long have they been together in the tank? give it a few days if you don't see any actual damage.
About a week and a half and there isn't any lip locking. Just chasing the rainbow cichlid back in his corner of the tank

hooked-worm77 said:
Chasing is normal in cichlids, however, if you see fin damage or lip locking there could be a real issue. Giving it time is not the best case in that situation as the dominant one will end up killing the less dominant. Do you know the sex of the two cichlids? It could be that if they are opposite sex the male will try to harass the female to mate
No lip locking Just chasing
 

JesseMoreira06

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,516
Reaction score
1,878
Experience
More than 10 years
ajgravedigger13 said:
About a week and a half and there isn't any lip locking. Just chasing the rainbow cichlid back in his corner of the tank
What size tank?
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
110
Guests online
2,021
Total visitors
2,131

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom