Do Fish Have Emotions? Study

RobinWhiskers

I can not find a clear answer on whether or not fish have emotions. When interacting with them, it seems they do and when researched you'll find several "studies" that claI'm they do have emotions. Yet if you browse forums like this one, many people claI'm otherwise. I'll be conducting my own "study" with my own theory. I don't have a bunch of fish or different types to use unfortunately, I only have a single female Betta. However, I plan on doing things like turning off her light, putting things outside her tank, putting my hand in her tank, exercising her by letting her chase her tongs, removing and switching around her decor, etc. to guage her reactions to see if it seems to change her behavior. Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can conduct this project? My options are very limited with a single Betta but I'll do what I can.

Hommicidalclownfish

They definitely have emotions, and some fish show it more that others, especially leopard puffers, once they get comfortable in their tank they’re like a little puppy. If you watch, when they see you their colors brighten and they try to swim through the glass and they’ll even play with you

RobinWhiskers

I'm on my second betta so I've definitely witnessed all the little quirks, but I'm trying to take things from an unbiased standpoint and hopefully I can conduct these ideas. Do you have any ideas on things I could do for my project?

Hommicidalclownfish

I would say give little, gesture before feeding and they’ll realize that when you do that after a little while that it’s feeding time and they’ll get excited. But I’m sure people will just say they just remember that means food and that’s it.

MrFluffie

RobinWhiskers said:
I'm on my second betta so I've definitely witnessed all the little quirks, but I'm trying to take things from an unbiased standpoint and hopefully I can conduct these ideas. Do you have any ideas on things I could do for my project?
Every day when your betta can see you and is near the wall of the tank, because you have approached, go near the tank Don’t give him any food. Look directly in his eyes and kiss the part of the tank closest to him. Then tilt your head sideways and rest your cheek against the tank wall while calling your bettA by its name and telling it how much you love it. Speak in a soft soothing voice. Look at your betta. Is it looking at you intently? Does it wriggle? Are it’s little side fins wapping wildly? Then it has emotions.

Mary765

They did a study on personalities in fish (guppies in specific but it applies to most fish) and they do in fact have pre-set personalities. By default, if fish are smart enough to have personalities then they must have emotions to fill those personalities with.

Here, I've attached the study if anyone wants to check it out! It's only a short article, but is very interesting to read if you love the science or mentality of fish!!

Sable Everett

's a study on depression in fish induced by alcoholism, which is sort of interesting.

goldface

Sure they do, but nowhere as complicated as say, a cat or dog.

Mary765

Sable Everett said:
's a study on depression in fish induced by alcoholism, which is sort of interesting.
Reminds me or a study on rats and drugs I read. The rats would only become addicted to the drugs (aka alcohol) if they were in a sad living environment. Imagine if this experiment was repeated again with the average experienced fish-keepers aquarium, then we could finally figure out if fish are happy in their environments or not by testing their susswptability to addiction with the drugs

Man that would solve a lot of debates

75g Discus Tank

2 of my discus are like puppies. Whenever they see me, they swim up to the glass to beg for food.

Babsalot

People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them fish have personalities and emotions but I believe they do. My fish are very personable. When I come in the door from work, as soon as they hear my voice, they all come to the front of the tank to see me (except the bloodfin tetras) they swim in front of the glass wiggling around and it reminds me of an excited dog wagging their tail. I have to talk to each fish in the different tanks. My blue and gold ran, gouramis and boesamanI rainbowfish are the most social and are quick to come to glass for me to talk to em anytime I pass by. Sometimes my fish with lose a lil color or show symptoms of illness for a quick bit and then pep right back up to normal. It will stress me out and my boyfriend will just say that they are showing emotion though we don't know which one. After seeing this happen occasionally over time now I tend to agree with him. Our big tank has happy, sociable fish and that tank always puts a smile on my face cause those fish all have their own personality that shows as you watch them

RobinWhiskers

That's so cool! That seems pretty evident of emotion, but then I also wonder when my fish does that doese she just want food?

wolfdog01

Mary765 said:
They did a study on personalities in fish (guppies in specific but it applies to most fish) and they do in fact have pre-set personalities. By default, if fish are smart enough to have personalities then they must have emotions to fill those personalities with.

Here, I've attached the study if anyone wants to check it out! It's only a short article, but is very interesting to read if you love the science or mentality of fish!!

This is a very small thread that was made on that
So Biologists "proved" That Guppies Have Personalities... | Guppy 305388

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom