Do Figure 8 Puffers really need brackish water?

Arsenal

So what IS the real truth about Figure 8 Puffers? I keep reading that they don't require brackish water..but if they don't have it, they won't do well in freshwater. I've also read that it's just a big lie! That Figure 8 puffers are freshwater fish and do not require to be in brackish water. I am looking to start a Figure 8 puffer tank and i'd like to know the requirements for them. Please help clarify all of this information!

Advertisement
I have gone to fish stores and they have had them in Saltwater and freshwater tanks. My brother used to have these in with his cichlids he would eat a worm twice the size of him a day then he would bite the cichlids. He returned it because we later found out they are really aggresive puffers.

Advertisement
I just really want to find out what conditions would be the BEST for them, and also the tank size requirements for them.

So what IS the real truth about Figure 8 Puffers? I keep reading that they don't require brackish water..but if they don't have it, they won't do well in freshwater. I've also read that it's just a big lie! That Figure 8 puffers are freshwater fish and do not require to be in brackish water. I am looking to start a Figure 8 puffer tank and i'd like to know the requirements for them. Please help clarify all of this information!

Your questions might be answered here.

I have never kept puffers, so I don't know how accurate this info is, but here's some links just by googling figure eight puffers:

I would tend to side with the last link. Hope this helps!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wishuponafish
Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
qchris87
Replies
Views