Do endlers store sperm?

Mandarabe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering if anyone knows? My girls seem to be constantly pregnant and popping out babies, but the one wandering boy got kicked backed into his tank 2 months ago!

will they eventually stop popping out babies or an I gonna have a problem in a year or two?
I started off with 4 girls in a 50L tank in November (one girl actually gave birth while in the post!) and around January one of the (wrong) boys managed to find his way into the girl’s tank for a few days before I managed to get him out - I now seem to have several dozen babies!

I have been chasing down any babies who show even a hint of colour, so there shouldn’t be any other breeding boys in the tank...
I was hoping to breed one of the other boys (a golden endler) but am now wondering how long I have to wait before the girls run out of “stuff”!!!

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Yep. Guppies can do it, mollies can do it...most poecilid livebearers can do it. No reason to believe that endler females cannot store sperm, especially since they are VERY closely related to guppies.

OP
Mandarabe

Mandarabe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. Any idea if they will run out? I specifically bought the girls to breed the goldens, and since I now have a tank full of babies with loads of potential girls I should be able to hopefully keep them virgins! Should I try to re-home the pregnant girls or “finish” them before I have more than I can handle? We are now in lockdown in the UK so trying to rehome is going to be a major problem...

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Mandarabe said:
Thanks. Any idea if they will run out? I specifically bought the girls to breed the goldens, and since I now have a tank full of babies with loads of potential girls I should be able to hopefully keep them virgins! Should I try to re-home the pregnant girls or “finish” them before I have more than I can handle? We are now in lockdown in the UK so trying to rehome is going to be a major problem...
They will eventually run out of sperm...it could take a few months, though. Don't let any of the male offspring grow old enough to develop a recognizable gonopodium while still with their mothers/aunts(?) or else you will have to start all over again.

OP
Mandarabe

Mandarabe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You would think a dozen hungry bettas would thin out the babies, but I seem to have managed to breed the worlds most mellow bettas!!!:banghead:

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
johnbetta said:
yes they do all livebears do
Not quite...most/all poecilid livebearers do, but some other livebearers in the hobby (notably the goodeids) do not.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do have to make a remark overhere. A short remark has already been given by Joshaeus.

It's an incorrect statement to say that all livebearers have the ability to store sperm packets.
Most (so, not all) females of ovoviviaprous livebearers have the ability to store sperm packets.
All female members of the viviparous livebearers (goodeids are a sport that is just one of them for there are more kinds than just goodeids in this case) don't have the ability to store sperm packets.

If an ovoviviparous female is storing sperm packets, she can store them for over a year. So, after a couple of months there's no guarantee that she's already clean (as we call females that aren't storing sperm packets and virgins). Claiming that they only are able to store such packets for a couple of months is an incorrect statement. Lots of people make this mistake. But yes, if it's just a small amount that a female is storing the storing period can be less of course (assuming that she's used those packets). But you just don't how well a male has donated.

But to answer your head quastion: Yes, also female endlers can store sperm packets.

New Threads