Do Dwarf Gouramis sleep? Also, algae wafer bloat/ constipation

azbev

Since my DG will gorge on any type of shrimp pellets or algae wafers I drop in the tank for my Corys, I've begun to feed these pellets to the Corys at night, when the house is dark and quiet. I can somewhat see into the tank where the pellets drop; the Corys are going crazy, DG nowhere in sight. So do they actually sleep or can they not see in the dark?

Second question: I left an algae pellet in the tank too long a few weeks ago; Mr. Gourami gorged on it, next a.m. he was so bloated I thought it was DG iridovirus. He sat at the bottom of tank much of the time, would not eat anything; luckily, he had eaten a pea the morning before. Next morning he was fine! Have you ever heard of algae wafer causing bloat? I fasted him and the whole tank for 24-hours, then all was back to normal and he's been fine ever since. (I feed flake and supplement with brine shrimp once a week - 1 DG, 7 Neon Tetra, 6 False JuliI Corycats (who now have 3 fry, which I will try to rehome.) DG gets a limited access to an algae wafer and a cooked pea once-a-week. Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

qchris87

Your DG is a greedy one but yes, all fish go through a resting state, similar to sleep but not quite. Eating too much of anything can cause bloat but wafers can expand significantly in a fishes stomach.

If you are feeding corydoras specifically algae wafers, I would recommend sticking to the shrimp pellets. They are carnivorous in nature and get little nutrition from algae.

azbev

Than you for your comments, qchris87. I feed the Corydoras shrimp and other bottom feeder pellets as well as frozen brine shrimp one time each week; the algae pellets are a once-a-week treat, which all of the fish absolutely love. I suspected the wafer was the cause of the DG's bloating, so thank you for your confirmation on that. I think the algae pellets should be left in the tank for only a limited time, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes. As for resting, yes, I know fish rest (I think the Corys are famous for it!) I just wondered if the DG can see in the dark.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Greg F
Replies
Views
Renegade13
  • Question
Replies