Do dual air pumps increase filtration?

LadfromLondon
My air pump has two valves and it runs 180L P/H. I use a sponge filter on each valve. Does this mean my tank filters 360L P/H?

I’m mainly asking since I’d want to run the same air pump on a 112L aquarium I’m hoping to buy in the coming months!

Thanks

Advertisement
SanDiegoRedneck
My air pump has two valves and it runs 180L P/H. I use a sponge filter on each valve. Does this mean my tank filters 360L P/H?

I’m mainly asking since I’d want to run the same air pump on a 112L aquarium I’m hoping to buy in the coming months!

Thanks
Sponge filters have more to them than just LPH . Putting 180l per hr air threw a 2in sponge vs a 5in XL sponge in giant difference but nothing to do with air pump. My personal opinion is if correct bubbles coming up it's working. Size of sponge filter more than size of air pump.

I run dual sponge in all my 20gal long and I have a tetra 60 running 6 big sponge filters for example

Advertisement
LadfromLondon
Sponge filters have more to them than just LPH . Putting 180l per hr air threw a 2in sponge vs a 5in XL sponge in giant difference but nothing to do with air pump. My personal opinion is if correct bubbles coming up it's working. Size of sponge filter more than size of air pump.

I run dual sponge in all my 20gal long and I have a tetra 60 running 6 big sponge filters for example
I see what you mean. However, in terms of filtration, would a 180L P/H air pump circulate the water quick enough running 2 large sponge filters on a 112L tank?

I feel I may end up buying the 6/700L P/H air pump instead anyway, but I thought I’d check

SanDiegoRedneck
I see what you mean. However, in terms of filtration, would a 180L P/H air pump circulate the water quick enough running 2 large sponge filters on a 112L tank?

I feel I may end up buying the 6/700L P/H air pump instead anyway, but I thought I’d check
I just googled and tetra 60 is 156l per hour and I feel that does 6 lg sponge filters very well. Not every line is even fully open as I have regulators on each line due to lines being different lengths.

Ps 180l per hour for 2 sponge filters is more than enough.

LadfromLondon
Flyfisha
Hi all,
LadFromLondon the air pump you have is pumping 180 litres of air per hour.

Each sponge filter needs a bit less than 2 litres per minute by my calculations as a maximum . That’s 110 odd litres per hour . For simplicity let’s say 100 litres of air per hour as a maximum.

Now let’s actually talk about this maximum air per minute/ hour. Many people believe and I am one that less air allows the water to spend more time in the sponge . The more time the water spends in the sponge the more it is in contact with the bacteria.
Suggesting that the slower a sponge bubbles the better it works for biological filtration. This goes against what we all think at first. We all assume ( at first) the faster the bubbles the harder the suck the more water is pulled through the better it’s working.

Please don’t take it as any kind of insult , but 180 litres per hour is a toy.
Soon for you to start thinking of a handful of tanks you will need a 30 litre per minute pump . Just saying before you have a dozen toy pumps in a box as spares buy one 30 litre or bigger pump for the same price as the toy pump.

The 180 LPH is ok for 3 sponge filters.

You MUST have a spare pump available 24/7. Consider buying a big pump soon before you have a cardboard box of little pumps that are a waste of money. Note this price is Australian dollars mate.
9074F689-0E28-473F-8F14-F02E67EF52F3.png
edit,
in answer to your question .
No 180 litres of air per hour does not equal 180 litres of water being filtered.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Mick Frost
Replies
Views
Matt B
Replies