Do Corys and Plecos count in tank size? 55 Gallon Tank 

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
okay,

I know they count, but I am just trying to figure out to what degree you consider the size of plecos and corys when you are considering how many fish can fit into a tank.

For example, this guy at a fish store I went to told me I could get one cory per 5 gallons of tank that I have...is that true? I was also told that plecos don't really count that much in determining the how many fish can fit into a tank.

Here is my current tank setup, do I need to move fish out.

55 gallon tank w/ double the necessary filtration, two bubble wands and ten plants (w/ the proper light to support them)

- 1 Black Moor- getting up there in size
- 1 telescoping eye fancy goldfish
- 1 Calico Oranda (who looks awesome, as a sidenote)
- 1 Celestial Eye Goldfish (small little guy, I feed him by hand because his messed up eyes make it harder for him to get to the food as quick as the others)

- 2 plecos (not remembering name of them well, but they are both the type that only grown to 5 inches)
- 9 Panda Corys

If you go by the book on how much space you need to give goldfish I think that I am fine there, with a tiny bit of room to spare) however I don't know the deal with panda corys and plecos and how they should be considered.

any help would be appreciated..thanks.
Todd

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Welcome to Fish Lore!

You really need to count every fish in the tank towards your bio load. Pleco's are huge waste producers along with Goldfish. I'm afraid you were given some wrong information from your fish store. This happens to many of us.

Cory Cats really should be kept in schools of 5 or more but they will do well in fewer #'s. They are not considered to be huge waste producers as the other two mentioned above. The # of Cory's depends on your tank size and the # of other bottom dwellers that is in the tank.

Keep in mind that Goldfish are temperate fish and Cory Cats and Pleco's are tropical. It isn't recommended that these be housed together but some folks have found a happy medium temperature wise.

Goldfish...It's suggested that the first Goldfish have 20 gallons and 10 gallons for each additional Goldfish. So, you may be a tad bit over stocked. Commets may require more as they get huge.

Keep up with your regular water changes and an eye on your water parameters. (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH).

I hope you enjoy the site!
Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As stated above, plecos are huge waste producers. They are sold to many people to help "Clean the tank" but your tank will be dirtier with a pleco than it was without. They might eat some of the algae but overall, your tank will be dirtier with it than without, so yes, they need to be counted towards tank stock just as you would any other fish, no special amount for them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos clean the tank so well that they leave poop trails on the decor like garlent on a christmas tree

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As stated above, all fish need to be counted towards the bio-load (waste produced). Plecos are the biggest waste producers I've ever owned & love to string up christmas lights like Jaysee metioned.

I think your a bit overstocked but as long as you keep an eye on the water quality it should be manageable.

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, I just want to thank everyone for their responses. I actually donated the 9 pandas and one of the plecos back. The other one has been with the goldfish for a year and a half and is actually one of the big ones (I was wrong earlier) and he seems to be comfortable with the tank. So now it is 3 big goldfish, 1 celestial eye (max 6 inches) and a pleco...am I doing better now?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I see what you're thinking: that since plecos and corys are bottomdwellers, they don't count when considering stocking since they aren't in the middle level of the tank. Am I close? If not, just disregard this post.

I definitely take swimming level into account when looking at stocking. If you want 12 fish that all share the same space, things are going to get crowded so it'd be better to get fewer fish. But if some if the fish live on the bottom then you can get more fish because they won't be competing for space.

-Lisa

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tcallais said:
Okay, I just want to thank everyone for their responses. I actually donated the 9 pandas and one of the plecos back. The other one has been with the goldfish for a year and a half and is actually one of the big ones (I was wrong earlier) and he seems to be comfortable with the tank. So now it is 3 big goldfish, 1 celestial eye (max 6 inches) and a pleco...am I doing better now?
Yes that should make a difference As was stated above though keep an eye on your water parameters and be diligent about doing water changes and substrate vacuums as all the fish in that tank are heavy waste producers.

Oh and to FishLore
Carol

tcallais

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Carol, I do a 25% water change every weekend, have a rena cannister filter that filters the water 8 times an hour, have a UV bacteria killer thingy, use a bubble wand, and supplement the water with a product called bio-boost that is supposed to boost healthy bacteria. If that is too much, or if there is something different that you suggest I do please advise.

Todd

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Todd
The Bio-Boost isn't necessaty. Your tank will build beneficial bacteria and Your fish waste will feed it. That said.. If it were my tank I would do two 25% water changes and substrate vacuums considering the fish in the tank. Two would be better than one large water change. Goldfish and Plecos are messy eaters as well as huge waste producers.
now we need pictures of your tank and your fishes
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads