Question Do convicts need tank mates

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I gotten a convict two months ago and she was always in her cave never came out ever so eventually I put her in a storage tub(3 gal long) I gave her a cave and tons plants around stationed in a kinda zig zag way and she is always out now and brighter but is she going to need another convict with her or is she gonna be fine in their forever and alone ?

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Strongly suggest not keeping a convict in a storage tub long term. Especially if you plan on getting others.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Johnb114 said:
Strongly suggest not keeping a convict in a storage tub long term. Especially if you plan on getting others.
It was more so me trying to see if she prefer a more low type of tank as the tank plants go straight to the top giving her tons of hide away. I had he in a well decorated tank that was 10 gal temporarily but had lots of plants and hiding places she refused to come out to even eat I had to pipe feed her by sticking a pipet with blood worms into her cave entrance so she would eat from that or when I put tweezers down by the entrance with cichlid food or else she wouldn’t eat so I figured why the heck not and put her in a long but short tub and low and be hold she is brighter swimming around and healthy. I will re do a tank for her to match this

EmiliyaCossack

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know anything about cichlids, but by the title of your post my first thought was, "I think you mean cell mates... And that totally depends on the convict." :p :D

Then I realized you were talking about the fish.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
EmiliyaCossack said:
I don't know anything about cichlids, but by the title of your post my first thought was, "I think you mean cell mates... And that totally depends on the convict." :p :D

Then I realized you were talking about the fish.
That happens to my parents and friends all the time I always say convict and they immediately think of a few members of my family in jail and they get really confused and think I’m on something. Doesn’t help I now named them after one of them

EmiliyaCossack

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Amaracalle said:
That happens to my parents and friends all the time I always say convict and they immediately think of a few members of my family in jail and they get really confused and think I’m on something. Doesn’t help I now named them after one of them
That is literally the best. My husband works in a company where the owner hires a lot of ex-convicts to give them a second chance at work and a good life. His boss is awesome. Anyway, one day we are at the store and I was looking at some Corys, when my husband called me over and said he wanted to get some fish for one of his coworkers who is an ex-convict. Guess what kind of fish it was... :p

He actually called his coworker and said he wanted to get him a convict cichlid and his coworker actually laughed!

Magicpenny75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Convict cichlids are extremely territorial and aggressive. Also 10 gallons, and certainly 3 gallons, is not big enough to keep one long term.
I have two in a 75 with a bunch of other fish. Both are female. The dominant one spends half her time chasing the other one, and the other half mooning over my blood red parrot whom she is madly in love with. She also regularly bites holes in my angelfish's fins and chases my diamond tetras. The rainbowfish are fast enough to get away from her.
Long story short - I have a great example of what not to do, but I can't catch them to remove them because they hide so well.
Your best bet is to get her a bigger tank, with plenty of plants and driftwood so she feels safe, and you'll see more of her. A friend isn't really what she needs.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Magicpenny75 said:
Convict cichlids are extremely territorial and aggressive. Also 10 gallons, and certainly 3 gallons, is not big enough to keep one long term.
I have two in a 75 with a bunch of other fish. Both are female. The dominant one spends half her time chasing the other one, and the other half mooning over my blood red parrot whom she is madly in love with. She also regularly bites holes in my angelfish's fins and chases my diamond tetras. The rainbowfish are fast enough to get away from her.
Long story short - I have a great example of what not to do, but I can't catch them to remove them because they hide so well.
Your best bet is to get her a bigger tank, with plenty of plants and driftwood so she feels safe, and you'll see more of her. A friend isn't really what she needs.
Would a 20 gallon long with a male be ok you think?

Magicpenny75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amaracalle said:
Would a 20 gallon long with a male be ok you think?
well technically two could live in a 20, but if you put a male and female together you're going to have a lot more than 2 in a month or so... ;) Convicts are like bunny rabbits

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Magicpenny75 said:
well technically two could live in a 20, but if you put a male and female together you're going to have a lot more than 2 in a month or so... ;) Convicts are like bunny rabbits
My friend breeds fish and often she has used my bettas so any any fry would be taken well care off, I just believe in a difference between solitary and territorial with my fish so I wanted to know

New Threads