Do Common Plecos Need Driftwood??

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ChrisTheFishkeeper2004, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004Valued MemberMember

So I’m thinking about getting a common Plec I for my 100 gal community tank, and I’ve read many different things about them having driftwood or not. So do I need to have driftwood in my aquarium to be able and keep one? Thanks for anyone’s answers!

2. MotherLizard

MotherLizardValued MemberMember

From what I understand, they don't necessarily need it for diet but it certainly is aesthetically pleasing :) It also creates another surface for algae and the such to be rasped off of.

3. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Ok thank you! I think I’m just gonnna buy a small piece from petsmart or from my LFS. How large of a piece do you think I should get? I’ve got a lot rocks and some plants in the tank and don’t have much room for a large piece.

4. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Are you set on a common pleco? They can get to 24" and get more aggressive as they get bigger. I think a 100g or even a 125g is too small for a grown common pleco. There are other species that don't get as big.

5. Wobbegong

WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

Like a gold nugget pleco, they don't get as big and they have pretty yellow spots.

6. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Thanks guys well my friend has a huge 500 gallon tank at his house that houses a few common plecs so when the little dude becomes over 7 inches I’m going to hand it over to him. Also I just went out and got a little dude and he has helped with my algae in the course of 1 hour haha. Is this a common Plec tho?? It doesn’t look like one to me

Attached Files:

7. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Looks like a common pleco but I'm not sure. I have a 4" L128 Blue Phantom that will eat algae and they don't get much over 6 or 7". I also recently got a 2.5" L007 Galaxy (Vampire) Pleco that will get to about 10". He's in my 40g to grow a bit before going into the 75g.

2018-04-06 22.11.45.jpg

2018-04-12 18.04.01.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Thanks lol, maybe I got lucky and didn’t get a common who knows... if it isn’t a common I may end up keeping him/her. If anyone else knows what type he is please let me know

9. Ulu

UluWell Known MemberMember

If he has 8 spines on his dorsal fin he's likely a common. I have the Sailfin hybrids with fantails and they have 11 spines in the dorsal fin.