Do Common Plecos Need Driftwood??

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ChrisTheFishkeeper2004, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004Valued MemberMember

So I’m thinking about getting a common Plec I for my 100 gal community tank, and I’ve read many different things about them having driftwood or not. So do I need to have driftwood in my aquarium to be able and keep one? Thanks for anyone’s answers!

2. MotherLizard

MotherLizardNew MemberMember

From what I understand, they don't necessarily need it for diet but it certainly is aesthetically pleasing :) It also creates another surface for algae and the such to be rasped off of.

3. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Ok thank you! I think I’m just gonnna buy a small piece from petsmart or from my LFS. How large of a piece do you think I should get? I’ve got a lot rocks and some plants in the tank and don’t have much room for a large piece.

4. DarkOne

DarkOneWell Known MemberMember

Are you set on a common pleco? They can get to 24" and get more aggressive as they get bigger. I think a 100g or even a 125g is too small for a grown common pleco. There are other species that don't get as big.

5. Wobbegong

WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

Like a gold nugget pleco, they don't get as big and they have pretty yellow spots.

6. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Thanks guys well my friend has a huge 500 gallon tank at his house that houses a few common plecs so when the little dude becomes over 7 inches I’m going to hand it over to him. Also I just went out and got a little dude and he has helped with my algae in the course of 1 hour haha. Is this a common Plec tho?? It doesn’t look like one to me

Attached Files:

7. DarkOne

DarkOneWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a common pleco but I'm not sure. I have a 4" L128 Blue Phantom that will eat algae and they don't get much over 6 or 7". I also recently got a 2.5" L007 Galaxy (Vampire) Pleco that will get to about 10". He's in my 40g to grow a bit before going into the 75g.

2018-04-06 22.11.45.jpg

2018-04-12 18.04.01.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Thanks lol, maybe I got lucky and didn’t get a common who knows... if it isn’t a common I may end up keeping him/her. If anyone else knows what type he is please let me know

9. Ulu

UluWell Known MemberMember

If he has 8 spines on his dorsal fin he's likely a common. I have the Sailfin hybrids with fantails and they have 11 spines in the dorsal fin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice