do clowns do this? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by fishaddiction, Jan 1, 2013.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

My clown is acting weird today all day it has been swimming almost strait down in the corner next to my anemone. It is also hyperventilating some what but my other clown is breathing deeply so it isn't a lack of oxygen. I'll feed in about 20 min. to see if he eats. Is this normal for clowns my parameters are 0,0,0 (I checked yesterday) so it isn't bad water quality he hasn't eaten much since I got him on 12/27/12 (he may have eaten brine shrimp once or twice) is it a lack of food? He looks healthy he's just acting weird I haven't done a water change yet but I was planning on doing one saturday. Is that to far out?

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

What is your temp?

3. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Is your SG still at 1.028? [per your profile]
    1.028 is a bit high, and would probably be better down around 1.023-1.026
    Higher salt content also equals less oxygen, and could be part of it. Do you have any surface agitation to promote gas exchange?

What are you using for top off water?

What are you using to test the water? Without a skimmer, and without a nutrient export method, I would expect to have some nitrates in there.

In the absence of a host anemone, Clowns will find a spot they feel safe, typically the corners of the tank, where they can't get attacked from behind. So it may be normal.

But given it's not eating after a few days, I would also lean toward aggression from the other clown. I think it may be hiding, trying to get away from the other clown. Any signs of fin damage? Stress stripes? loss of colour?

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

My salinity said 1.032 but it had tiny bubbles on it so I expect it to be at 1.028. It doesn't have a lack in color (black and white) but it does have fin damage but when I bought it last week it was with another clownfish that was its size so I guessing they were deciding male and female when I purchased him. I have good water movement at the top so it has a gas exchange. I haven't needed to top off my tank yet I put lots of water in so it was over the minimum by a lot and my tank has a really good top (no opening so evaporation might be harder. The clown is tank bred and all week has been swimming threw my tank until my anemone moved to that corner he never really stayed in one place for long. On another note I put the pictures of clowns hosting anemones and my other clown has been watching them and then swimming over to near the anemone I think he's contradicted.

Is there a good priced protein skimmer brand I don't have much to spend on it but if it will help a lot I might splurge on one.

Edit- what are stress stripes?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  6. ryanr

Before you go any further with SW, you need to know for sure what your SG is at. As I said, even at 1.028, it's still too high. SG/salinity is not something you can guess at.

If the clown is stressed and trying to recover in less than ideal water, it will likely struggle. I hope it is not getting further harassed, fish will sense the weak, and go after them. Too, if as I suggested in another thread, you've got both clowns fighting for the one anemone, they will vigorously defend their host.

:;sh what do you mean by contradicted?

I can't encourage you enough to get an accurate reading of your SG.....

7. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Have you ever owned a Betta? Stress stripes on clowns are either black,red,or white. 1.028 is high like Ryan said clowns thrive in a range of 1.023 to 1.025 with 1.024 being average. And with having live stock in your tank protein skimmers are a must seeing DOCs can be fatal to live stock. Ebay has a lot of skimmers for decent prices. Every check Craigslist for one but until you get one I would do daily 10%water changes to try to keep your DOCs down and to lower you SG. To lower it I would do every other water change with just RO or RO/DI whatever one you use. What are u using to test SG ?

8. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

I use my hydrometer to test the salinity. What I mean by contradicted is he goes to the anemone then to the picture and then back to the anemone I'll check the salinity soon. My lfs said if he still looks the same in two fats he will allow me to exchange him for a healthier specimen.

9. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Hydrometers are known to give faulty readings that is why I got a Refractor cuz my hydro was saying 1.028 to where my refractor said 1.032 when I first started my tank. So if you could take a water sample to your LFS and see if they can test with a refractor. I am thinking it is your SG that is causing the clown to react the way it is and getting a new one is not gonna change the situation it could just make it worst. Plus with your tank being so young it has not had a chance to stabilize the way it needs to. IMO I would take all the live stock back to your LFS and see if they can QT them until your tank is more stable. The first thing you need to get under control is your SG I would do daily 10% water changes with just RO or RO/DI water to get your SG to 1.025 for a more stable lvl. I understand it is cool to have a SW tank but if you rush it that can lead to disaster.SW keeping is a slow and patience process that is very rewarding in the end.

10. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Will return the bad looking clown tomorrow the other I got a good deal on and he has been very healthy.

11. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

My bad and small looking clown was eaten by the anemone I'm not sure he went in it but being so close to the anemone I think he died and the bta gobbled him up this morning the bta got real small (tightened up) I think he's digesting the clown because yesterday I only gave him 3 mysis shrimp so he had to of eaten something larger or at least more. :(

12. ryanr

I'm sorry he didn't make it :console:
    Can you post a photo of the anemone? I need to see it to determine if it is unwell, or feeding.

At this point, I'm going to need accurate readings for all parameters:
    Temperature
    Specific Gravity (preferably salinity)
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    pH
    Alkalinity
    Lighting (do you have actinic)
    Powerheads (how much flow is in the tank)
    Top-off Water source
    Salt Water type
    (I know you've mentioned in previous threads, but I can't recall)

My gut feel at the moment is that the tank was not ready for live stock, and the tank is cycling, or has cycled and has very high nitrates, along with elevated SG, with an element of acclimation process.

I also feel the tank probably wasn't ready for the BTA, and it may be dieing. A photo will help greatly in diagnosing it.

I want to try and help you, and the above answers will be crucial to helping you. The more detailed you can be, the better the responses can be to help you and your fish.

EDIT: As mentioned above, aggression between the two clowns may also have been a factor.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  13. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

I will do the picture and parameters soon. Though when I looked up the clowns symtoms it sounded like something a lot of clowns get when being transferred to a new environment (even tank heeds get it) the anemone looks very happy in my tank though he's doubled in size and is even more colorful than when he was in the store.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  14. ryanr

Tank-bred clowns should be reasonably bullet-proof. They are quite hardy little fish, assuming they are acclimated properly, and parameters are with in reasonable ranges. Wild-caught specimens are different, and often struggle when taken into captivity.
    That's a good sign for the anemone :)

Let's wait and see what the parameters reveal before making further (un-informed) guesses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice