Do clownfish mate for life? Question 

FishResearcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If two clownfish mated, but one of them died, would the surviving clownfish mate again with a new one?

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
clown fish are all born males, and the most dominant fish will develop into a female fish. You can tell the sex of the fish as the female is larger and the male is smaller in a mated pair. If one of the fish dies, purchase a clown same species, but just smaller than the surviving clown. the surviving clown if it is not the female already will change to the female and the new fish will be the male in the pair

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kloseo said:
clown fish are all born males, and the most dominant fish will develop into a female fish. You can tell the sex of the fish as the female is larger and the male is smaller in a mated pair. If one of the fish dies, purchase a clown same species, but just smaller than the surviving clown. the surviving clown if it is not the female already will change to the female and the new fish will be the male in the pair

Which is why Nemo's dad would actually become his mother. lol

Unicorrs

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's very interesting, I didn't know clownfish are like that.
so over time, a clownfish can change from male to female, female to male?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm pretty sure they only change from male to female I do not think they can go from female to male.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They cannot go from female to male. While clownfish do mate for life it is a bit complicated. The clown fish will form their hierarchy of female, then male, then any juveniles. In the perfect world, when any of these died everyone would bump up a notch, with the most dominant juvenile becoming the male.

What is not very well documented is what would happen if you added a second male to the initial pairing. If that second male is more dominant than the first male there could be sparring. Clownfish are genetically programmed to pair with the most suitable partner - the female's choice. They will pick a male who has the greatest chance of providing viable offspring. It is quite possible that if the second male is of greater perceived quality than the first then that first one could be killed.

Clownfish do note misbars and color issues. When I added five perculas to a tank before it was the misbarred clown that took all of the abuse, despite being larger than some of the other clowns.

Chicken farmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
interesting thread.

I have always wanted clownfish. maybe 1 day.

how big of tank does a pair need?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
They cannot go from female to male. While clownfish do mate for life it is a bit complicated. The clown fish will form their hierarchy of female, then male, then any juveniles. In the perfect world, when any of these died everyone would bump up a notch, with the most dominant juvenile becoming the male.

What is not very well documented is what would happen if you added a second male to the initial pairing. If that second male is more dominant than the first male there could be sparring. Clownfish are genetically programmed to pair with the most suitable partner - the female's choice. They will pick a male who has the greatest chance of providing viable offspring. It is quite possible that if the second male is of greater perceived quality than the first then that first one could be killed.

Clownfish do note misbars and color issues. When I added five perculas to a tank before it was the misbarred clown that took all of the abuse, despite being larger than some of the other clowns.

Depends on the species!!! Breeding clowns will happen like Zeeter said although the change will accur to certain breeds and will be in different stages depending on the fish breed. Mother nature will take it's course, and it will happen when the water quality and times are right with the spawning of the fish. Keep us informed!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom