do clownfish like each other? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by fishaddiction, Dec 28, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I was wondering if my black ocellaris clownfish would like another ocellaris orange clownfish also later I'm getting a bubble tipped anemone would they share it? Currently my 1 ocellaris is 1 in. and any more I buy would also be that size. Finally do all ocellaris clownfish look like nonstop swimmers or is that my fishes personality.

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

They are both color variations of the same species, so they should get along fine. Just be sure to purchase a known mated pair, or one that is larger than the other. Allow your current one to grow before you introduce another.

3. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

And if I understand it correctly not all clowns will take to just any bubble tipped anemone. I have read where clown fish can be rather particular at times not taking to the anemone. Its a interesting fact that they have to have chemistry like humans do with the opposite sex. Very interesting indeed.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's also an interesting fact that the clownfish can change sexes. In the group the dominant fish is a female and the next dominant fish is a male. If something happens to the dominant female, the dominant male becomes a female, and the next fish in line becomes the dominant male, if it's not a male already.

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Will they breed? How do you tell the gender because I was wanting a reef tank and are they egg layers? How do you tell they have taken a shine to each other? Anything I should know about having a pair of clownfish?

Oh also do they chace each other like most freshwater species?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Clownfish change gender; the largest of the group becomes female.

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The symbiotic relationship between anemone and clown is a very intriguing aspect of nature, one that we (science) still don't have all the answers for. I believe it is up to the anemone if it chooses to accept and host the clowns. Hosting can take a week/month(s)/year(s) to occur, or it may never happen. I have no idea on what the exact factors are that govern the hosting, save that wild-caught clowns tend to seek out an anemone.

I'm not sure how colour variations get along. Keeping two clowns even of the same species and colour variation is not guaranteed to result in a happy pairing. Whilst there is greater chance of success by ensuring one is bigger than the other, it is best to buy them at the same time. Getting them the same age, with one bigger than the other.

Breeding will only occur if everything is right in the tank. JessiNoel21's clowns are regularly spawning, mine haven't shown any signs of breeding behaviour. There was a time-lapse video showing the breeding of clowns, but I can't remember if I saw it here on Fishlore, or found it on youtube. Clowns are egg-layers.

Clowns are generally quite active tank-mates. Do they chase each other? Not really, but they do play together. If you get a pairing, the two will be practically inseparable. Though once hosted, will tend to stay close to the host anemone, playing in the anemone.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...os/123641-coolest-thing-ive-seen-hosting.html

8. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Mine have a huge size difference one is 2 maybe 3 in. the other is a solid 1 in. but the bigger one also is a lot wider though the smaller one likes his knew friend the larger one is investigating the tank (the front part) if I get and anemone at some point will the larger one take it and not share or will they pair up? My original thinking was buy 1 so it would have an anemone to itself but it was looking lonely plus I read there happier in pairs. How long will it take for them to pair I know with size difference it may take longer and there all different but is there and average or something?

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Theoretically any 2 should become a pair. Maybe jess will find this thread, or you could PM her.

10. ryanr

Wait, I'm confused ???
    Do you have one or two clowns? Your OP suggested you have 1, looking to get another :;sh

If you indeed already have two, watch for aggression. There is no guarantee that two clowns will pair, but hopefully with the size difference, you'll be ok.

Too, there is no timeline for when pairing may occur (you can't force nature)
    And there is also no guarantee on hosting. If they pair, then both will share the 'nem. If they don't pair, there is a risk that the hosted clown may chase off other clowns trying to encroach on its territory.

Sidenote: has this tank cycled yet? Last reports you still had ammonia and nitrites present.......

11. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I do not see anything about your SW tank in your profile but I was curious to what you have setup and how long has it been set up? I too want to get a pair of clowns but I am cautious to make sure I have allowed enough cycle time etc.

12. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Sorry about not adding it to my profile I never thought about also I was only thinking about a clownfish but my lfs gave me a really good deal for it. Also they don't really care about each the larger one just likes swimming while the smaller one has a hard time swimming (not the strongest swimmer) my ammonia and nitrites are both minimum.

Just finished adding most of it the rest I'll do soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  13. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Ok so let me get this right you have 2 clownfish one is 3" and the other is 1"? If that is the case your 3" will become your female and your 1" will become your male. I got mine as a proven pair so yours need time to pair up plus your "male" is still to young to breed my male is 2" and my female is 3.5". And mine took a yr to lay their first eggs and three times in my tank before they got it right and now they need birth control lol. I at one point had over 200 fry in my grow out tank I've now decided to leave the eggs with the parents and let nature take its course who ever survives to juvie stage I will take out and put in the grow out tank. I donated 150 of the other fry to a local aquarium for them to grow them out and put in their big tank. The only thing I can think of that made mine breed was they have a 80% LIVE food diet they get coepods, baby brine shrimp, mytis shrimp, ghost shrimp, fairy shrimp, live chopped up mussels, and live chopped up clams. Plus NLS Thera A pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen squid, frozen breeder mix(squid,octopus,beef heart, blackworms,spinach,garlic,NLS Thera A, seaweed, and chopped up jumbo shrimp) that I make myself :). And if they do breed watch out mama can get very mean and bite you and draw blood if she feels you are gonna harm her babies.

14. ryanr

15. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Ty I aim to please all the live are in my sump and refruguim so they can snack on them when ever some go into the tank and everything else is fed on a rotating schedule. Heck my LTA and BTA are target fed everything even though they are both hosting. I think that is why everyone in my tank is thriving cuz I spoil them and make sure test every day at 6am and 6pm to see if anything needs to be fixed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice