Do cherry shrimp become too old to get pregnant?

fishietank

I got a cherry shrimp a few months ago (I think almost two months ago), and it never got pregnant and just died today. She was a girl, I'm pretty much 100% sure. I don't know how old she was. Could she have been so old that she didn’t saddle up and never got pregnant and then died from old age today? I never saw a saddle on her and she was never berried.

I should mention that she did seem quite big. Though I never measured her, she was probably about an inch tip to tip.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I got a cherry shrimp a few months ago (I think almost two months ago), and it never got pregnant and just died today. She was a girl, I'm pretty much 100% sure. I don't know how old she was. Could she have been so old that she didn’t saddle up and never got pregnant and then died from old age today? I never saw a saddle on her and she was never berried.

I should mention that she did seem quite big. Though I never measured her, she was probably about an inch tip to tip.
Did you buy her from a store, or a private person?

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

In short yes that’s exactly what happens. They are fondly known as grandma shrimp.

Upvote 0

e_watson09

Yes its possible, quite a few things can cause them not to breed. Even genetics, water quality, etc can be factors as to if they breed or not. Do you have others in the tank successfully breeding?

Upvote 0

fishietank

Did you buy her from a store, or a private person?
Store
Yes its possible, quite a few things can cause them not to breed. Even genetics, water quality, etc can be factors as to if they breed or not. Do you have others in the tank successfully breeding?
I only have had shrimp able to breed in this tank for less than 3 weeks so about now is when I would be starting to know the answer to that question and I just got a berried female so it appears everything is going smoothly.

Upvote 0

PlantedCommunityTank132

I don't think it died of old age then. I don't think the store had the shrimp for too long. did you acclimate it properly?

Upvote 0

fishietank

I don't think it died of old age then. I don't think the store had the shrimp for too long. did you acclimate it properly?
Yes it's been in this tank for over a month now and dripped it in. I moved this shrimp and one other at the same time and the other one is berried now.

A few days ago, it wasn't as active as it usually is and I've seen that listed as a symptom of old age.

I don't know if this store's shrimp stock moves very quickly.

It was a big shrimp (like I said probably about an inch) so I would think this would show an older aged shrimp

Upvote 0

PlantedCommunityTank132

Yes it's been in this tank for over a month now. A few days ago, it wasn't as active as it usually is and I've seen that listed as a symptom of old age.

I don't know if this store's shrimp stock moves very quickly.

It was a big shrimp (like I said probably about an inch) so I would think this would show an older aged shrimp
okay. I have no idea then. sorry

Upvote 0

fishietank

okay. I have no idea then. sorry
No problem. Thanks for the help

Just for reference for anyone wanting to help me with this..

Tested this morning:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
GH - 7 dGH

A few days ago, the nitrates were 20ppm and on one day, it was possibly a hair higher (darker in color) than the 20ppm color sample on the API reference card (but still was clearly orange in color and not red). That was only for one day though and for a few days in a row, the nitrates were staying at around 20ppm. However, they are now lower to 10ppm after a weekly water change.

I saw what looked to be a successful molt exoskeleton today, so I don't think molting is a problem here.

Upvote 0

Shrimpee

i think its not the old shrimps cant get pragnant..is the male shrimps all go for the young ones.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquriusAquarium111
Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
Triton25
Replies