Do cherry barbs always chase each other?

1. Toxic Dover Member Member

Hey guys -

A few weeks ago I started stocking my freshly cycled 30 gallon tank with 5 cherry barbs. Last night, I went to the LFS and added 5 more. After acclimating the new ones, they all seemed to be getting along fine, exploring the tank and schooling together. I get home from work today and my wife says that they have been chasing each other all day. A few of the males (I believe - they're a very vibrant red all over their bodies) have been chasing each other, as well as the not-so red cherry barbs (I think these are the females?) around the tank. I got home, fed them, they all ate fine... Nobody has gone into hiding or anything, so I'm not sure if it's actual aggression or if they're just playing. Thoughts? If need be, I'll post a video in a bit to show what I'm talking about. Thanks guys!

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Ummm... they're probably getting used to eachother. My cherry barbs sort of hang out on alone. I have 2 males and 3 females. How many males and females do you have?

3. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

you should have an equal amount of males and females or more females. my cherry barbs love to chase eachother though. i have 10 also.

4. can haz catfishies? Member Member

Sounds pretty normal to me, mine have always done the same, males chase females constantly in the hope of spawning while chasing away other males, I keep a couple females to each male so that the females get a break from the males amorous harassment keep an eye on them and you might see them embrace and drop a few small sticky white eggs on plants or decor

5. Toxic Dover Member Member

Cool, thanks guys. There are 10 barbs total in the tank, and from what I can tell, 4 are males. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I needed to worry about. Nobody is in hiding and they seem to be getting along pretty well, aside from the occasional chase. Thanks guys!

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, there is a hierarchy that is formed - an alpha male and an alpha female will emerge. Things will settle down once the fish all know their place. While they may do a lot of chasing, it's rare to ever see any damage.

I too keep an almost even split, as I do with all barbs. I think I have a couple extra females. Once the school is 15-20 strong, the sex ratio doesn't really matter though.