Do Cardinal Tetras Have The Same Infamous Issues That Plague Neon Tetras?

MangoPulp

Reaction score
Ive has good success with all my new fish except for neon tetras. I lost all 8 of them within 8 days of getting them. I did research after and found I’m not alone in this as the neons are notorious for this depending on where they come from and other factors.

I’m now looking at Cardinal tetras and wondering if they have some of the same issues such as genetics and where they come from. Or, am I safer getting these? Thanks.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had both and never had problems. Their supposed to be sensitive to water quality but i haven't experienced that. My guess is they may have been sick from the store you bought them. I think their imported so many bad things can happen to them in collection and transport. I try to make sure the store has them for a week or two before purchase.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe you are safer getting Cardinal Tetras as they are not plagued by Columnaris disease as much as Neon Tetras.

Neon shipments are about 50% healthy and 50% diseased according to LFS owners in my area. Either they are healthy or they lose the lot.

Cardinals are certainly not immune from Columnaris but shipments are not affected as often.

Don't forget to watch new Cardinals for Whitespot (also known as Ich in some countries) which can be devestating especially when new. Always have meds ready on hand for this (incidentally the King British WS3 malachite green medication still worked well for me even when ten years out of date).

Also Dermasporidium known as worm-in-a-bubble affects Cardinals although this is not usually fatal and will fade away in good conditions.

Neon Tetra disease is said to be a rare occurance so can probably be discounted as something likely to be encountered.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Acclimation method also makes a difference. I tried slow drip acclimation with my first batch of Cardinals, lost 75% within a few days. Did "plop and flop" (basically just netting them and putting straight into QT tank after 15 min of floating the bag) and only lost 25%. I only do plop and flop now. Too easy to mess up a slow drip, from temperature variations ), to pH swings (when u open the bag the pH will swing and convert ammonium into toxic ammonia . Some people put prime into the bag as soon as they open it, I have switched to just netting them out immediately after opening the bag and have had no issues with sterbai, gourami, kuhli loaches, tetras etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom