Do calcium supplements raise ph

michaelsf90

I recently added some calcium blocks for my snails. On Sunday when I did a water change the ph was 7.0. I tested today, its 7.4 or below but looks darker colour than 7.2. Is that a huge increase in 2 days. I have a filter with crushed coral to stabilise the ph at 7. Its very soft water round here. I also ordered small limestone rocks to raise it to 7.2. Should I stop adding these for the snails? I got them because two baby rabbits are getting white on their shells and it looks like erosion

Salem

With how soft your water is all sources of calcium will raise it. Do you happen to know what your actual gh and kh are?

michaelsf90

The readings of tap water are the lowest 2 on the tetra test strips. Ph is 6.8 from the tap. Do I have to be careful when I now do a water change?

Noroomforshoe

It sounds like they need the calcium. A rise in ph is ok, but keeping a stable ph is important too. I don't know what calcium blocks are, I added a peice of cuttle bone to my tank for the rabbit snails I had. You may want to make some snello for them as well, the gelatin will help them.

Utar

Noroomforshoe said:
It sounds like they need the calcium. A rise in ph is ok, but keeping a stable ph is important too. I don't know what calcium blocks are, I added a peice of cuttle bone to my tank for the rabbit snails I had. You may want to make some snello for them as well, the gelatin will help them.
How do you make snello?

michaelsf90

It just says calcium and mineral blocks. The snails have had a go on them. Only thing i could do is maybe not put as many in. I had cuttlebone in but never seen any of the snails go near it! Is a rise in ph by 0.3 in 2 days a lot?

Noroomforshoe

Utar said:
How do you make snello?
There are many recipies on line, The main ingredient is gelatin, the clear flavourless jello in the same section of the grocery store. Then you can grind up s tums tablet into powder or order calcium powder, and grind some fish foods spiralina, veggitables, whatever you want in there too. then mix it all into the jello powder. heat it, Then pour it into a plastic baggy and lay it flat, or use some sort of mold or container. and fridge it. Here is one way to make it i probobly did not explain it that well.=

UnknownUser

I add wonder shells and / or cuttlebones to my tank to raise gh for my snails and plants, but have never noticed a raise in ph from it.

Top Bottom