Do bristlenosed plecos need bogwood?

missgingersnap

HI all! I just bought a bristlenosed pleco tonight and he is quite the handsome fella. I read somewhere that they need bogwood in the tank. I guess they like to munch on it? Will he be ok without it? I don't really have room for any more decorations. Do I put just one algae wafer in a day? Also...how often should I put veggies in the tank and what do they like best? Thanks!

Amanda

I'm not sure...but some need wood as a part of their diet. I know my clown does, he doesn't eat algae. He doesn't eat veggies I put in there either, just eats the wood.
YOu can try blanched cucumber & zucchini.

mathas

Mine certainly seem to spend a fair amount of time on the wood.

From PlanetCatfish:

It is thought that elements in bogwood, particularly lignin, may form an essential part of Bristlenose diet. Certainly they have the immensely long guts common to vegetarians, and although they fall avidly on the occasional meal of live food or prawns, the bulk of their diet must be composed of vegetable matter. If a high protein diet is fed constantly, then they will become prone to stomach disorders. Vegetable roughage keeps the gut in working order, and bogwood is a valuable addition to this.

Regal

My bristlenose spends most of his time under a piece of driftwood. He comes out late at night and cleans the tank glass of algae then goes right back under the wood. I hardly ever even see him.

missgingersnap

I hope mine comes out more. He's been hiding behind the heater pretty much all night but then this is his first night in the tank.

MeGustaUnaPez926

He's probably just scared. I think it would be best to get him some, but he'll probably be okay if you can't get your hands on some immeadiatly.

missgingersnap

I'm going to get a small piece. I'm sure I can manage to find a spot for a little piece of wood. Does it need to be boiled first? I read in another thread that boiling might make it fall apart?

Regal

I didn't see mine much at all for the first few days. He needs to get used to his new home that's all.
My tank is in front of a window and I usually only see him on the back tank glass when I'm outside looking through the window. He never ventures out to the front areas of the tank. He's way more shy than the common pleco I used to have.
I'm glad your going to get him a small piece of wood, they chew it and like the security of being able to hide behind the wood.

missgingersnap

So, I got some wood. It says malaysian natural aquascaping wood. Is that the right stuff? Do I need to boil it or just soak it?

MeGustaUnaPez926

That sounds good. I would just soak it for a day or so and see how it goes.

MissMTS

My BN's really like the Malaysian driftwood that I have in my tank Good luck with your new little guy!

missgingersnap

Thanks guys!

COBettaCouple

What I did with the mopanI wood in our tanks is dropped it in a stockpot, brought the water to a boil and let it boil for about 20 min or so, then turned the burner off and just let the pot sit there with a lid on it until the next day. Then I put it in a big container of treated water at room temp. to sit for another day.

Never had any floating troubles and only a mild amount of tannins in the water for a few weeks.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom