Do Bn plecos (L144a) like Blackwater

BruinAquatics

Hey guys, so Im planning on getting 2 or 3 Juvenile Blue Eye Longfin Lemon Brisletnose Plecos (L144a Anchrius Sp.butchered that lol.

Im planning on breeding them (and selling away the "odd one out".

When i was thinking about how I wanted to setup their tank I wanted to make into a river like biotope and i wanted to make it a BlackWater setup. Do Bn plecos like black water (not just tolerate but like because im trying to breed them). Its gonna also have tons of frogbit and horn wort in there.

Anyways is a blackwater setup good for them. Also it can be lightly brown colored (I dont even want it that brown lol).

MacZ

I would actually NOT keep them in real blackwater, as they are a domestic strain.

BN plecos have been tankbred for so long, today they are likely a genetic hybrid from nowerdays almost unavailable wild ancestors and as domestic breeds they can take a lot different water parameters than their ancestors.

Secondly, a blackwater tank requires a lot of attention to water parameters, which one can simply not provide with dozens of fry of such waste machines like BNs. With them your main goal will be keeping the waste low, a focus on quality (nitrogen compunds), not parameters (hardnes/pH).
With these you will be constantly changing water, meaning a lot of RO water will have to be used to keep parameters stable.

Just to make that clear, while yes, keeping them in a blackwater setup is ok, BREEDING them gives you some practical maintenance challenges you can't keep up while maintaining a biotope tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fishcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
DarkOne
Want To Buy Lemon Blue Eye Plecos
Replies