Do Bettas Play??? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by maddiecat214, Apr 20, 2010.

1. maddiecat214New MemberMember

So I am at work on a little break and watching Capt Jack. He loves his new ornament and swims around it and through it. Well he will be just cruising his tank then all of a sudden he is all over, by his plant and around his "skull" ornament. Then he will just go back to cruising. Its funny, he looks like he is having a great time. I hope I am right about this. His water is warm about 81 degrees and just tested his ammonia levels and they are 0. :;f:;f:;f:;f:;f:;f

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Most bettas love to play! Aren't they great fish, full of personality!

3. maddiecat214New MemberMember

Phew! LOL!! Oh yeah he keeps the office entertained! I am learning that Bettas are really great fish! This is the first fish I have ever had and it has been quiet a journey!! :D:D:D:D:D

4. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

yeah bettas like to play....and rest. mine likes to swim by the plant up and down, and around the heater. well your aquarium info says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle....is this true? cos if so, you'd want to learn :)

5. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

6. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Lol betta's are such clowns :p

7. maddiecat214New MemberMember

Yeah I didn't know, but I have learned a lot since finding this place. I have read about the cycle and unfortunately I have to do it with the fish so its gonna take some time and lots and lots of water changes. :-}

8. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Glad to hear your betta is doing well, maddiecat. :) By the time your tank is fully cycled, a weekly water change regimen will look easy peasy! For some extra fun at work, try using disposable wooden chopsticks or something similar (nothing too sharp) to dangle a bloodworm just above the water. :p He'll jump for it and feel very accomplished that he took down the big bad yummy worm.

9. maddiecat214New MemberMember

Hmmm I might try that!! I also was going to buy just a couple baby brine shrimp as a treat. I think he would have fun catching and eating them!

10. hooxeiiWell Known MemberMember

I condition all of my bettas to take food from my fingers. My male, Volly, gets so excited about food he starts jumping at nothing! They can learn simple tricks when conditioned properly.

I think they do play, though perhaps not as much as a puppy might. They like having things to explore, and they certainly seem to enjoy themselves at times. They have a lot of personality and will quickly learn that humans mean food. Because they associate people with food, they will start to respond when they see them :) Don't be surprised if he gets excited when he sees you!

11. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Chomp, yum!!!

I love the wiggle dance they do for food. I have 3 in a divided tank, and when they see me, they all dance all at the same time and it's hilarious. THEN, I open the lid to put the food in, and it gets funnier. They all immediately go motionless and all face the open lid perfectly still just below the surface, waiting for it to rain pellets haha!

12. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

That little betta butt wag is the cutest! I love it myself;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice