Do Bettas Play With Other Fish?

GoldenWitch

Reaction score
Every once in a while, my betta will chase my tetras around a little. I know that when the tetras are doing it, they're playing around. I wanted to know if bettas will try to play too, or if I should worry that it's trying to hurt the tetras.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol, it's not playing, it's just chasing. I do doubt that the betta will do any harm though, so I see nothing to worry about

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't believe that bettas play around with other fish. Bettas will most likely will chase them around once in a while if they're irritating it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They don't even play with each other. Tolerate and avoid mostly. Chase out of each others territories.

Lajos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Bettas are fighting fish and they are aggressive and some may have the killer instinct.(in my opinion).

Some very aggressive species like Plakat(short fins and tail), halfmoon, crown tail will kill your other smaller fish especially when they are weak/sick.

The less aggressive Bettas are probably the Veil Tail Bettas.

If your tank is small, it'll be a matter of time only before the Betta catch up with them and kill them.
Even my big Blue Ram(2") was chased all over the tank by my Plakat.

If you have kept different species of Betta before, you will understand what I meant.

Neon Tetras are schooling fish. They may chase each other but they won't kill each other. But make sure that they don't nip each other fins. The damage fins may cause bacterial infections.

Last edited:

Peter M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I don't think the neons are really playing when they're chasing each other either. Probably more establishing the pecking order. But who knows really.

Little fry babies

Valued Member
Reaction score
In my experience, bettas don't play nice with other fish. They don't even play nice with their own kind. I had my betta in a community tank but he would chase other fish and flare at them or nip at them so I had to remove him from the tank .all the female bettas I tried keeping were far too aggressive for a community .they are best kept alone .

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My betta will try and school with my corys. He also chases them. Im not sure why he tries schooling with them but its adorable. He does play in the current however. He loves the heavy current.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I honestly wouldn't discount the idea that your betta is just messing around. I had a gudgeon in my large tank, and he was the grumpiest fish ever. He would challenge for dominance every fish in the tank, even though some of them were twice his size. Well, after he got knocked into his place, his hobby seemed to be tetra chasing. He would just chase them off for a few inches, and I know that he was doing it because he was grumpy, but it was also just harmless chasing. I honestly think he enjoyed it, he was just glad to be able to be bigger than someone. I think it depends on how your betta chases them. Does he swim super fast after them and try to bite them, or does he just sort of swim at them for a couple of inches then ignore them? Has he done any damage, and does it look like he might do some damage? I'd keep a really close eye on things to see if they get any worse, but I don't think you have to be super worried about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom