Do bettas like having tank mates?

Mii

Supposedly bettas do better with a group of small schooling fish/dither fish despite normally being a solitary species? Is this true? If so, why?

BigManAquatics

Really depends on each individual betta. My current one doesn't seem to mind having tank mates, as long as he can hide away whenever he wants. But he is also not the most agressive betta around, either. I do think some bettas like having a tankmate or two to at least watch, though. Or steal food from.

Mii

Really depends on each individual betta. My current one doesn't seem to mind having tank mates, as long as he can hide away whenever he wants. But he is also not the most agressive betta around, either. I do think some bettas like having a tankmate or two to at least watch, though. Or steal food from.
Yeah even though they're not social I've heard it keeps them from getting bored.

BigManAquatics

Yeah even though they're not social I've heard it keeps them from getting bored.
From what i have seen, it is true in some cases. Some bettas, they just don't want anything around except food.

Mii

What size tank do you need to keep a betta with a smol group of some very smol schooling fish(ie neons, embers, or green neons)?

BlackOsprey

Depends on the betta, but regardless of temperament, avoid any betta-like fish like gouramis, or anything that's remotely nippy if you have anything with fancier fins than a plakat.

As for tank size, I'd give neons + betta at least 29g. Embers/green neons + betta should have at least 20g. That gives the smaller fish plenty of room to swim, and enough space to avoid the betta if it's in an awful mood.

I wouldn't call neons "very smol" since they require a sizable group (10+) to be happy, grow considerably larger than some other nano shoalers, and need much more room than a typical betta for their activity needs.

BigManAquatics

What size tank do you need to keep a betta with a smol group of some very smol schooling fish(ie neons, embers, or green neons)?
Mine is in a 29 with 2 schools of pretty peaceful fish and snails and a attitudinal bn pleco. A 20 gal wouldn't be a bad size.

Mii

Mine is in a 29 with 2 schools of pretty peaceful fish and snails and a attitudinal bn pleco. A 20 gal wouldn't be a bad size.
But in something like a 10 you'd not put anything with it right? As they need their own space and won't really like having some neon tetras swimming around in their territory? How about female bettas since they're less mean usually?

BigManAquatics

But in something like a 10 you'd not put anything with it right? As they need their own space and won't really like having some neon tetras swimming around in their territory?
I wouldn't personally. Something small like embers might work. Neons might be a bit zippy.

Mii

I wouldn't personally. Something small like embers might work. Neons might be a bit zippy.
Betta + Embers sounds like a pretty nice combo.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
ForBettaorForWorse
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views