Do bettas eat small fish? Tiny neons?

psalm18.2
Will bettas eat tiny neons? Are they fish eaters in general? Most likely interested in female betta. (someone's gotta adopt one)-lol Everyone else wants the males.

Elodea
The general rule is that a fish will eat whatever fish would fit in its mouth. However, in your case, I doubt it. Still, there's a controversial debate on whether bettas do well housed with other fish or not, but you can try if the tank is large enough.

psalm18.2
Hmm? I don't know if I can risk losing another tetra to another fish. And I won't put a betta in a small tank. Guess that's a no go.:indifferent0028:

Boxerb2003
It depends on the betta, I have read on a other forum, a killed this persons neons.. if you do get a female and put it in with the neons, have a backup plan.

bassbonediva
I honestly doubt it. Have you really looked at how small a betta's mouth is (especially a smaller female's)? The tetra would have to be fry-sized in order to fit. My friend has a female betta in with gold tetras and they were the same size starting out (about 3/4") and she never bothered the tetras at all. Even now that she's twice the tetras' size, she ignores them.

mosaicguppy
Unless they're really small, it's unlikely. Although if a betta doesn't like other fish he/she will likely nip them.

Betta/Horse lover
There is like no way a female betta could eat a neon unless it was smushed up.

Mike19
However, in your case, I doubt it. Still, there's a controversial debate on whether bettas do well housed with other fish or not, but you can try if the tank is large enough.

I have done it (still doing it) its been over 12 months now, and the range of fish with the betta maybe suprising although these fish all have good temprements. my other betta I have alone in another tank he seems like a bully while the one in the tank is a softy lol. so really depends on the personlity of the fish (if you believe they have different ones, in the case of bettas I think its true).

Dcoa
I have read that its really hard to keep neons w/ bettas.
Either the betta bites 'em or the neon bite the betta.
But only rip up each others fins...not eat them.
So I really wouldn't reccomend keeping them together.

Dcoa

The Fish
What is it about betta boys? Some play well with others and some don't? Are the peaceful ones just small, rare percentage of a typical betta behavior?

mosaicguppy
bettas have different personalities too. Some will do very well with tank mates but some don't. it depends on the personality of the the betta, I suppose.

psalm18.2
So many various opinions. I do see the female's in w/ the tetras in the show tank at the store, but the males in other tanks w/ some fish, others w/out. I would be getting a female, mind made up. I have lots of plants in the 10 gallon and can add a few more for the fish's comfort. Humm?

LyndaB
Hmm? I don't know if I can risk losing another tetra to another fish. And I won't put a betta in a small tank. Guess that's a no go.:indifferent0028:

You could probably do a single female betta..... just don't get a few of them or chaos will ensue.

bassbonediva
One of my friends has a female betta in a 10gal with four gold tetras, one neon tetra (lone survivor from the 15 or so that have gone through my tanks...don't ask) and two panda cories (she used to have three, but one mysteriously died). Now, I don't recommend her setup to anyone (we both keep a tight eye on the tank), but she hasn't had any problems other than that mysterious cory death...oh, and a bout with ick, but that was brought on by a sudden temperature change (she had no heater).

Tigerfishy
I still don't recommend any tank mates, but you may get away with shrimp and snails. Especially in a 10!

Just remember in the stores the fish are only in the show tanks for a short time before being sold and it is not a situation you would have at home, I mean see how many fish they have in the tanks to be sold, overstocked, but temporary.

Bad Wolf
I've successfully had a betta living with other fish, including neon tetras, guppies, angels, swordtails, mollies, platies, danios, white clouds and plenty more. All peaceful, no problems. As mentioned earlier in a post, it depends on the bettas personality (fishiality?). It all depends on the attitude of the fish. I've had bettas that have been aggressive towards other fish, and bettas that have been peaceful. I have a female now who use to live a 15 gallon with neons and swordtails. She's now living with guppies.

Always have a spare tank though. Introduce them slowly. Bettas look amazing with other fish.

Good luck

mosaicguppy
I've seen bettas in stores with cories that'll flare and nip at them and no one does anything about it! the poor cories were frozen and didn't dare move an inch
It does depend a lot on their personalities. Always have a backup plan!

Tigerfishy
HI bad wolf, nice to see you back (I seem to have seen less of you recently)!! It's only a 10, that's why I'm giving those suggestions, much more limiting and even less room for error than normal, especially for a beginner!

Bad Wolf
Hello Tigerfishy
I've been away from fishlore for a while, but I'm back now because my angelfish are spawning ^.^
I guess your right. Starting the right kind of tank is always hard :S It's true, bettas are unpredictable. The same betta that I mentioned earlier, seems to do better with other fish. My other girl, however, flairs up at swordtails. She lives in the 55 gallon with the larger fish, including angels. She loves it! Different fish prefer different things, huh. Lol.
It is good idea to play it safe. You wouldn't want your fish to get hurt

Tigerfishy
Glad to hear it, I'll be waiting to find out how your spawn goes!

It's true, all bettas are different, go figure, they're so complicated for fish!

Bad Wolf
Actually, do you know much about breeding them? I have a thread in the angelfish section, if you don't mind having a look
Sorry for changing subject :S

Tigerfishy
I don't I'm afraid, never kept them (but they are beautiful fish!) I'll take a look, but I'm more into the easy care option, I have 22 baby endlers to keep me busy right now haha!!

psalm18.2
I don't I'm afraid, never kept them (but they are beautiful fish!) I'll take a look, but I'm more into the easy care option, I have 22 baby endlers to keep me busy right now haha!!
That's ok if you go .
I'm always interested in new fish. I seem to be out of work this week so very bored anyways. LOL
How are endlers to keep? Can they go with the tetras?

Tigerfishy
I know, I'm so sorry for going off topic too, I don't usually!!

Endlers are a blast, they're very small, very bright and go very well with tetras! I have 2 males with my 6 neons and all get on just fine. There's a bit of a scrum at feeding time (no surprise there) but there's no trouble at all! I keep female separate as she is popping every month anyway so I don't like the hassle the males give her, it's mean!

I'll start a new thread later and try to get pics of my endlers and the fry, it's time I did an update anyways!! I'll link you to the thread if I can get decent pics lol!

Mermaid77
I've seen bettas in stores with cories that'll flare and nip at them and no one does anything about it! the poor cories were frozen and didn't dare move an inch
It does depend a lot on their personalities. Always have a backup plan!

+1 on this. I have 2 male bettas in their own tanks. I have tried each of them in with my cories and they have nipped the cories' fins within 24 hours.
But, I'm sure there are bettas out there that would be fine with cories or a community tank. They are all different.

psalm18.2
What about FEMALES? Are they more docile?

Tigerfishy
Females can be just as bad as the boys, sometimes worse, the same rules apply to them I'm afraid.

Got you a link to my baby endlers: Enjoy...

psalm18.2
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to try one female betta w/ a backup tank. I actually wasn't going to do it, but she caught my attention and I couldn't put her down at the store. So far she swims in the middle and top while the tetras stay near the bottom. They are almost the same size, as the tetras have practically grown overnight. There are lots of plants and a deco w/ holes to hide in w/ plant on top. She has claimed the floating driftwood as hers, the tetras have no interest, they prefer a spot by the filter. This will be the last addition as the tank is now maxed out in fish load.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Top Bottom