Do Bettas And Glow Light Tetras

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say no. Contrary to popular belief, bettas do not make great community fish. Males and females both can be aggressive towards other fish and then there's the chance of the betta's fins being nipped, especially long finned males. If you insist on keeping other fish with a betta then bottom dwellers are the way to go IMO.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
are they glolights the genetically modified ones that are all kinds of colors. Or glowlights that are kinda pale with an orange stripe?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Danio and white skirt tetras (what the glolight"tm ones are) are not good with betta because they are highly active and very nippy fish. They also like the water cooler long term than betta (betta can handle the temp, but in the long run you have to make sure they don't get too much food because lower temps can cause digestion issues if they aren't faster often, and it is better to feed the tetra and danio to prevent hunger aggression).
Glow light tetra with the orange stripe are a little better with temp, they are still nippy though. One of my female bettas jumped in with my guppies, she didn't do any harm to the guppies but one of the largest female guppies tried to take a bite out of her (I mean this guppy is the same size as this adult betta, has a bigger mouth and more friends). I currently have two or three bettas I can trust in a community setting, I have just that many and more that I wouldn't put in a community setting, including my two named boys (Fury is just like his name and so very aggressive, Fergus is still regrowing fins so I don't want to test him out and see if he could handle it).
The betta's ability to be in a community solely depends on the betta and how it will get along with other fish, I have had a female betta that was fine with guppies and cory cats but would murder tetras (she would chase them down and bite them until she killed them), she killed two or three before I caught her in the act and removed her. I have had a male betta that was fine with other male bettas, he was fine with cory cats and other fish and one of the calmest tempered males I have had. I have had females suddenly turn on their sorority sisters after being together for months with no issues, killing them all. I have had males that attack snails of one type and ignore others, the same fish also couldn't do other fish except cory cats.
You have to be careful picking a betta if you plan to put it in a community, meaning you also need a back up plan should anything go wrong (this can be the betta being harmed by the other fish, the betta stressed out and hiding all the time, the other fish being injured, and even just the other fish hiding because the betta chases them.

OP
MarvinTheBetta

MarvinTheBetta

Reactions
Experience
3 years
david1978 said:
are they glolights the genetically modified ones that are all kinds of colors. Or glowlights that are kinda pale with an orange stripe?
The different colored ones

Mcasella said:
Danio and white skirt tetras (what the glolight"tm ones are) are not good with betta because they are highly active and very nippy fish. They also like the water cooler long term than betta (betta can handle the temp, but in the long run you have to make sure they don't get too much food because lower temps can cause digestion issues if they aren't faster often, and it is better to feed the tetra and danio to prevent hunger aggression).
Glow light tetra with the orange stripe are a little better with temp, they are still nippy though. One of my female bettas jumped in with my guppies, she didn't do any harm to the guppies but one of the largest female guppies tried to take a bite out of her (I mean this guppy is the same size as this adult betta, has a bigger mouth and more friends). I currently have two or three bettas I can trust in a community setting, I have just that many and more that I wouldn't put in a community setting, including my two named boys (Fury is just like his name and so very aggressive, Fergus is still regrowing fins so I don't want to test him out and see if he could handle it).
The betta's ability to be in a community solely depends on the betta and how it will get along with other fish, I have had a female betta that was fine with guppies and cory cats but would murder tetras (she would chase them down and bite them until she killed them), she killed two or three before I caught her in the act and removed her. I have had a male betta that was fine with other male bettas, he was fine with cory cats and other fish and one of the calmest tempered males I have had. I have had females suddenly turn on their sorority sisters after being together for months with no issues, killing them all. I have had males that attack snails of one type and ignore others, the same fish also couldn't do other fish except cory cats.
You have to be careful picking a betta if you plan to put it in a community, meaning you also need a back up plan should anything go wrong (this can be the betta being harmed by the other fish, the betta stressed out and hiding all the time, the other fish being injured, and even just the other fish hiding because the betta chases them.
This one has been with Neon Tetras and Cory’s for about 6 months but ok

Whitethorn

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I don't think I would mix glofish with bettas. They might get nippy and your betta will only accumulate stress and even start to attack the other fish... I'm not sure though... Good luck!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea the glolight tetras are notorious fin nippers.

Minerva77

Reactions
Bettas can go with certain fish/snails/shrimp, but they have to be really docile ones. Tetras tend to be be slightly/mostly aggressive and nippy. So off the top of my head I'd say I don't think it will work out.
Best thing to do is consider the behaviour of your betta (is he really aggressive or pretty chill) and the size of your tank. I had heard that if the tank is big enough the betta won't care as long as no one comes into his territory.
At any rate, my betta has been with shrimp and a cory cat. They got along really well.

New Threads