Do betta teeth ever get soft/weak?

ricktavious
Last night, I was in a bit of a hurry at the regular feeding time because I was about to leave, so I didn't soak the pellets in garlic guard like I usually do. I've done this a time or two with no problem before, but this time, Andre was not able to chew the pellet. He tried to, but spit it out a couple of times (of course, I ended up waiting and soaking it in garlic guard).

I add 4 drops of vitachem to his 5 gallon tank a day, as well as once or twice a week soak his food in a garlic guard/vitachem mixture.

With the given info, is it possible that his teeth are becoming week.............or could he just be getting spoiled;D

0morrokh
What kind of pellets do you use? Could they be too big for him to swallow if they're not wet? Otherwise, I would guess he just decided he didn't like the taste of them plain.

ricktavious
What kind of pellets do you use? Could they be too big for him to swallow if they're not wet? Otherwise, I would guess he just decided he didn't like the taste of them plain.

HikarkI (spelling?) betta bio gold or something like that. I've been able to feed them non-soaked to him before, as well to the other two bettas who I've fed them to. Also, he's eaten them non-soaked before. Maybe he's just getting spoiled

0morrokh
Ah sounds like he's just figured out if he refuses to eat then you'll put the yummy Garlic Guard on it. ;D

ricktavious
That's what I thought...........................so I guess Andre is a spoiled brat, eh?

Isabella
Betta teeth ... ?

ricktavious
Barbrella
Bettas have sharp teeth!That's how they shred the fins of their opponents.

Isabella
Bettas have sharp teeth!
Right ...

Don't mock me, I seriously don't know! LOL ;D

ricktavious
Kind of made me sad though, the red betta reminded me of my original betta, Ricktavious (but happy at the same time...so many happy memories of that little guy).

Also, this whole thread reminds me of a dream I had last night:

When I feed the two betta, I have the food at the end of my finger and move it back and forth slightly above the water level to give them a bit of a chase before they get their food (sometimes, Spazz the female in particular, will leap out of the water to get the food). So in my dream, I was doing this with Andre (the male). Except, he kept missing the food and biting huge chunks of flesh out of my hand! For some reason, I continued to let him chase and he would keep on biting chunks of me off. Just thought I'd share

0morrokh
When I feed the two betta, I have the food at the end of my finger and move it back and forth slightly above the water level to give them a bit of a chase before they get their food (sometimes, Spazz the female in particular, will leap out of the water to get the food). So in my dream, I was doing this with Andre (the male). Except, he kept missing the food and biting huge chunks of flesh out of my hand! For some reason, I continued to let him chase and he would keep on biting chunks of me off. Just thought I'd share

Barbrella
Don't mock me

It wasn't my intention to mock! I've learned lots about bettas lately and was just excited to share.

jack11
wow that is impressive, has anyone seen their bettas teeth before?

Jack

0morrokh
wow that is impressive, has anyone seen their bettas teeth before?

Jack

No but I have sure FELT them!!

Worryrock2007
Why are you giving him vitachem? Is he sick, I am just curious ?

COBettaCouple
I would go with the "spoiled Betta". it's funny the way they will refuse food that doesn't meet their standards.. Sora could go days without food and still reject anything that wasn't on his personal menu. lol

Vitachem daily (about 1 drop per gallon) is a good regular health routine for fish and we do that with all of our fish.

Butterfly
Haven't felt my bettas teeth but he chews when I feed him
Carol
ps I didn't know they had teeth either. How cool!

ricktavious
Why are you giving him vitachem? Is he sick, I am just curious ?

He's not sick, but the vitachem will keep him healthy I suppose.

Funny thing is, I give my fish vitamins but don't take any myself.

Isabella
As much (or not much, lol) as I may know about fish-keeping in general ... this is the first time I'm finding out that Bettas have teeth ! I thought you were all joking, lol ;D. Wow, that's a shocker to me! So they're like "little Piranhas" or what! LOL

How do you perform water changes in tanks with bettas then? If you put your hand inside the tank, they can bite you, can't they? Does it really hurt? Can they bite through human skin/flesh?

COBettaCouple
lol.. same here!

He's not sick, but the vitachem will keep him healthy I suppose.

Funny thing is, I give my fish vitamins but don't take any myself.

COBettaCouple
their teeth are small and can't pierce our skin. i've had them latch on and try to shake my finger off.. it just feels kind of like a tiny suction cup.

As much (or not much, lol) as I may know about fish-keeping in general ... this is the first time I'm finding out that Bettas have teeth ! I thought you were all joking, lol ;D. Wow, that's a shocker to me! So they're like "little Piranhas" or what! LOL

How do you perform water changes in tanks with bettas then? If you put your hand inside the tank, they can bite you, can't they? Does it really hurt? Can they bite through human skin/flesh?

LZ Floyd
If you're in a quiet place when feeding them pellets, you can hear them chewing. Gainey would chew each pellet four times before swallowing then come back for the next one.

Mike

0morrokh
their teeth are small and can't pierce our skin. i've had them latch on and try to shake my finger off.. it just feels kind of like a tiny suction cup.

Yeah, I always give Cas a bad time for trying to eat me whenever I do a water change, but it doesn't actually hurt at all. Kinda like tetras...their teeth are way too small to do any damage.

COBettaCouple
lol.. I think it's funny when they do that.. when we'd not had aslan long, I was cleaning his tank and he started circling my hand like a shark then starting nipping at my hand until I took it out.. he was SO proud of himself!

Yeah, I always give Cas a bad time for trying to eat me whenever I do a water change, but it doesn't actually hurt at all. Kinda like tetras...their teeth are way too small to do any damage.

voiceless_kat
COBettaCouple
lol.. yea.. they feel so fierce and I love to play "tough betta" with sweetie or aslan (our fiercest bettas). I let them chase my finger around the surface and then pull it away real fast when they nip it. I swear that they feel proud of themselves for chasing off the intruder because aslan struts his fins and sweetie goes all happy bars on us.

Being bit by a betta is the BEST!!!

Isabella
Now you're telling me Tetras have teeth too ??? !!! I never saw any teeth in my Neon Tetras

If you're in a quiet place when feeding them pellets, you can hear them chewing. Gainey would chew each pellet four times before swallowing then come back for the next one.
LOL, it must be so cool to hear Bettas chew on food! ;D

I swear that they feel proud of themselves for chasing off the intruder because aslan struts his fins and sweetie goes all happy bars on us.
LOL ... Bettas really do have interesting personalities, don't they.

COBettaCouple
they sure do! ;D

voiceless_kat
Now you're telling me Tetras have teeth too ??? !!! I never saw any teeth in my Neon Tetras

LOL, it must be so cool to hear Bettas chew on food! ;D

Next to being bitten by a betta which is the best - hearing them crunch- crunch -crunch their pellets is second best!! Sounds so funny!!

Bettas rock!

voiceless_kat

I feed Wink Jack Sparrow medicated food right now, to help him with a slight bit of fin rot. I choose the smallest pellets, soften them in water from his tank, then put them on the end of my finger, and WJS jumps up and takes it. It is such fun to hand feed.Anyway, every now and then he misses, and gets my finger...it just crushes my heart....feels so cool. I liken it to the rough feeling of a cat's tongue, another thing I think is so fun!!

My husband didn't believe me when I told him they would bite, so he had to keep putting his finger in, and every time, either Wink JS or Tiny would bite him -- I think that is when he started to fall for Bettas. (PS - wash your hands without soap first!!!)

Val

0morrokh

All characins have teeth. Tetras are like minI Piranhas, with minI teeth. ;D

0morrokh
I feed Wink Jack Sparrow medicated food right now, to help him with a slight bit of fin rot. I choose the smallest pellets, soften them in water from his tank, then put them on the end of my finger, and WJS jumps up and takes it. It is such fun to hand feed.Anyway, every now and then he misses, and gets my finger...it just crushes my heart....feels so cool. I liken it to the rough feeling of a cat's tongue, another thing I think is so fun!!

My husband didn't believe me when I told him they would bite, so he had to keep putting his finger in, and every time, either Wink JS or Tiny would bite him -- I think that is when he started to fall for Bettas. (PS - wash your hands without soap first!!!)

Val

That's so cute...my Bettas will do exactly the same thing. I found if I get my fingertip wet then the pellets will stick to it and my Bettas will eat it off my finger. Although, Fuego usually misses the pellet and gets my finger instead.

COBettaCouple
yea, mickey does that but sweetie is the one who does it most.. those 2 are the most aggressive eaters and just get so enthusiastic. lol

Anyway, every now and then he misses, and gets my finger...it just crushes my heart....feels so cool.

armadillo
You HEAR them?! How lucky! I've never heard them chew.

Next to being bitten by a betta which is the best - hearing them crunch- crunch -crunch their pellets is second best!! Sounds so funny!!

Bettas rock!

voiceless_kat
You HEAR them?! How lucky! I've never heard them chew.

I usually don't keep radio/tv on in the daytime, perhaps some music. I like to puddle around in the quiet - comes from working in noise/*****ing/complaining/whining, etc for too many years!!

Anyway...it was just quiet when I was feeding once very early in my fish keeping days ( ie) only 1 fish - , Neptune woud jump, I dropped the tiny pellet off the little scoop/spoon thing , he would get it and munch, munch,munch - cracked me up - my husband didn't believe me , so he tried it ( after putting his selective listening away)- and he heard it too.).

Ya know when little things like this can keep me happy and smiling - I just don't believe it when some think I am high maintenance.

Maybe it is a crazy person thing..............Val

Tazmiche
OMG my dopey little Spot jumps at my fingertip for his pellet and misses 9 out of 10 times!! His cute little teeth sink in or scratch my skin. feeding my boy is a long job, he doesn't seem to see the food but finger tip = food= bite!! SOOOOOOOOOOO cute!! Mum heard flame crunch recently too, i'd heard him before also. My friends don't believe me when I tell them about bettas!! Their loss!!

Barbrella
Okay, now I'm intrigued! When my bettas get their pellets tonight I"m going to try and hear them crunch.

voiceless_kat
OMG my dopey little Spot jumps at my fingertip for his pellet and misses 9 out of 10 times!! His cute little teeth sink in or scratch my skin. feeding my boy is a long job, he doesn't seem to see the food but finger tip = food= bite!! SOOOOOOOOOOO cute!! Mum heard flame crunch recently too, i'd heard him before also. My friends don't believe me when I tell them about bettas!! Their loss!!

It is a crazy lady thing!!!! What a club, we are sooooooooooo lucky!! Barbella, let us know how it goes....!

Why am I using pink?? Don't know....oh ya, CRAZY!!!

COBettaCouple
lol.. Mickey misses his pellets a lot.. he'll see them if I drop them far enough ahead of him, but his problem is that he gets all excited and darts too wherever my finger is.

Gilly123
hI just a quickie - why do you use Garlic Guard when feeding? do they like the flavour or does it help their health (like us good for the heart and all that?!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RamRam12
Replies
Views
Manoj Arora
  • Question
Replies
Views
Taydee