Do betta sororities actually work?

Mii
I've heard some people saying they're fine, but I've also heard a lot of horror stories about them. Do betta sororities ever actually work? Has anyone ever had one were the bettas made it to their expected lifespan and no one killed each other? How do you do it and what are common causes for a betta sorority to fail?

Advertisement
AcornTheBetta
FishGirl115?

Advertisement
FinalFins
I know that in the long run it's hard to keep one going. Its a hit or miss really. Lots of factors can affect the outcome of it. Factors like health, aggression, and tank size. Some girls are just aggressive and some are unhealthy. You need to weed out the sick and aggressive ones.

BigManAquatics
From what i read a couple of years ago on here, getting them to work and keeping one going for an extended period of time, they can be quite stressful to maintain. I think a lot get split up after awhile because of this.

Burdigala
Keeping them in small aquariums, not having enough plants, and not having enough females can make a sorority go downhill.

Mii
Keeping them in small aquariums, not having enough plants, and not having enough females can make a sorority go downhill.
What would be your "ideal" setup for betta sorority? How many bettas? How large of a tank do you need? 4 foot tank? 5 foot tank? 6? Larger?

Advertisement

Dippiedee
Short term, yes. Long term, hmmm... debatable. Sometimes perhaps.

I dont like betta sororities because IMO they're unethical. Forcing a group of bettas to live together is unnatural. It's not in the animals best interests, its because the fishkeeper wants a group of pretty fish. The aggression, the stress of the fish ect ect are all man made issues that we cause by putting them in that situation. It just doesnt sit right with me. Just because you can, doesnt always mean you should.

FishGirl115
Mine is wonderful! They are all sisters though. The first couple weeks they were figuring out their pecking order (which is probably why a lot of people give up, since this is when they fight) but now there isn't any aggression except for a little chasing if one of them gets in someone else's bubble. Tank size is 29g, heavily planted. 9 bettas along with other fish.

Burdigala
What would be your "ideal" setup for betta sorority? How many bettas? How large of a tank do you need? 4 foot tank? 5 foot tank? 6? Larger?
Bare minimum is 2 feet, but a larger size aquarium is better.

Kribensis27
I've heard that sororities work better if all the fish are sisters that have been raised together. If they've been together since birth, they've had plenty of time to figure out who's dominant and who's subordinate. You need at least a 20 long (preferably larger), tons of plants and hiding spots, and a lot of females to divert aggression. Make sure to eliminate possible stress factors like overly bright lights, strong flow, and aggressive individuals. Try to include some floaters, preferably both long and short roots, like frogbit and red roots or something like that.

Debbie1986
my 20 long has 5 female betta, 1 Penelope- elephant ear is dominant but loves my female Koi.

I removed my blood orange veiltail, she was just too large for the tank & given it's heavily planted with 3 diff areas set up with decor to prevent long chases. she's now solo in a 5 gallon. I have 7 cories in there, helps divert aggression.

I just rotated out my decor yesterday actually so territory is 'fresh'

I plan to move them all to my 38 gallon when my last 3 skirts (tetras) pass on. I'm looking into lighting etc because I want a lot of plants when I move them.

I just started a baby betta female tank - 5 girls, heavily planted. It's an established tank - over a year old. I added Artemis Mirco lift (so no filter for now) because they were so young & I wanted them less stressed/ill. These girls are tiny.

Just started that sorority this past Monday

female koi in that tank (10 gallon) is largest & dominant. chase but no battles.

The biggest issue - be ready to remove any females causing issues or being bullied.

I have spare tanks - 3, gallon, 5 and 10 gallons, so I can do that on the fly.

personality matters - my baby female elephant ear ( 6 months old) got heavily stressed so she's in a 6 gallon solo near my male betta Apollo's tank. they can see each other but plenty of area to retreat & she's a swimmer. always swimming laps

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Debbie1986
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
WanhiBetta
Replies