Do Beta Fish Survive With Out Having Food For 3 Days?

1. viveksathisan

viveksathisan Initiate Member

Dear Beta lovers,

Sorry for the drastic question, but unfortunately i have to ask this question due to my situation.

I'll not be in my home town for 2 to 3 days. Does my betta fish survive with out having food for 3 days?

2. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

I think they can go without food for 3 days, but it is not recommended keeping your fishes hungry for too long

3. elizano1

elizano1 Initiate Member

Can't you use a holiday block?

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

They are comfortable for a week, and can go for almost three.

Originally, they were wild animals, and a predator doesn't catch prey every day. Their feeding depended on hitting mosquitoes landing right above them. They are well adapted for lean times.

If I travel, I don't worry about the fish as long as I am back in 12-14 days. Amazingly, they don't even become thinner in that time, as long as their environment is good (room to move, live plants).

Holiday blocks have never been reliable for me. With them, I have lost fish. Once I stopped buying them, the problems vanished.

5. elizano1

elizano1 Initiate Member

I'll bear that in mind... I only saw them I a shop. one not to use then...

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Not to sidetrack the thread, but most are mineral based, and dissolve, releasing food. I'm told they are designed for medium hard water with a pH of 7.5. I have softer water, so they dump all the food very quickly, since they dissolve really quickly. Then I have to get the minerals out when I return. If you have harder water, they will dissolve too slowly.
    Plus, Bettas are surface feeders, and vacation blocks drop the food onto the bottom. Not all surface fish go foraging.
    They look like a great idea and I tried them a few times. Since I decided they caused more trouble than they solved, things have gone way better.

7. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

You could get an automatic fish feeder, but two or three days shouldn't really concern your fish, and if you're not there to watch you don't know that he's eating everything given to him and could end up contaminating the tank, which is far worse than overfeeding. He'll be hungry when you get back, though. Just don't be tempted to feed him extra before you leave, or let him have a feast when you return. Fish are genitally programmed to eat everything in front of them and often don't know when to say when.

8. Quiche

Quiche Member Member

3 days is surely okay. Don't worry at all.

9. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Member Member

I usually feed them a little extra before I leave. Gives me peace of mind.