Question Do baby guppies like to stay at the top of the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I adopted 2 little guppies 2 days ago from a guy that was giving away guppies on Kijiji. I dunked the net in and 10 of them literally swam right into the net, it was so terribly overcrowded. I ended up scooping up just two and brought them home.
Ones a boy, and ones a girl, and I have been keeping a close eye on them. The girl is quite tiny, maybe an inch from nose to tip, and still pretty see-through. The boy has some coloring on him, violet-green and a bright yellow tail, but I am pretty sure he is still pretty young.
They have been eating, mostly just the flake food, I have a feeling the brine shrimp/ bloodworms are too big for their mouths.
The little one seems to be a bit more curious, going down to the bottom of the tank and such, but the male primarily stays hovering at the top. He eats and responds if I put my hand near the glass, and he is not breathing hard.
He looks clean, no spots or blood or ich or anything.
Is the fact that they are still so young the reason why they sort of stay at the top? I know that baby fish like to hide in moss and such until they are big enough to swim around with the big fish, are they maybe a bit unsure being so young??

Any input will help! Thanks!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 8 fry at the moment. The very young ones hide at the bottom (when they were first born they hid at the bottom, but as they get bigger they are hanging about near the top sections. Especially when the lid opens!

It seems to be something mine are doing too, and the ones I had previously did the same. I don't have a reason I'm afraid, but it's not something to be worried about!

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just took a look at him now and he has a dark gray spot on either side of his body! They are symetrical...I am going to go look through the disease section to see if anything fits, I have attached a picture just incase anybody knows what this is....I looked at him this morning at 8:00 am, fed them some flake food + frozen brine shrimp and now it is 9:00 am and these spots are there! They were not there this morning....!!!!

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a few male fry that have that coloring also, definitely no disease. As long as they are eating and dont show any discomfort I would not worry too much.

They are just getting used to the tank maybe after a while and when they are a bit bigger they will be all over the place.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At the moment i have about 47 guppy fry they like to hang around the top of the tank as well, i'm sure its normal.
With the spots is he acting normal, is he eating as much as he normally would?

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He is! I noticed that the spot's only seem to show up when he is "chaseing" the female guppy. I posted in the breeding section, I am hoping that maybe someone else has noticed that their guppy changes colors/patterns when they are trying to breed.
I am pretty confident it is not a disease or anything, it is completely gone when he is swimming around solo and not bothering with the female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom