Do Assassin Snails hunt Otos?

justinleeldn

Two weeks ago I bought 3 Otos for eat up the small amounts if Algae I get in my tank. The next day I woke to find two of the Otos dead. Afer some research I read that it is not uncommon for Otos to drop dread for no apparent reason. So I thought that they are far too delicate for me and I would not buy any more.

Yesterday, feeling sorry for the Oto that is without any Oto friends in the tank (he really didn't seem to be bothered by it al all) I decided to go out and get three more. Today, I have found one of them dead at the bottom of the tank with an Assassin Snail sucking the life out of its body. After a few hours I have now seen that it has been discarded and it just an empty shell of an Oto with a hole in it. On top of this, I have noticed that my Assassin Snails are crawling up the tank glass more than they ever have in the past.

This has made me think. Could the Assassin Snails be actively hunting Otos in the tank? Has anyone had any experience of this?

kallililly1973

Ottos are sensitive highly unlikely the snail is hunting it... it is just benefiting from a dead fish as a food source. Ottos should only b added to a well established 6 months or older tank for them to have a better chance at survival. Others will chime in wit more info.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I think they just died and the snail was eating it. They find dead carcasses pretty fast.

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

Ottos are sensitive highly unlikely the snail is hunting it... it is just benefiting from a dead fish as a food source. Ottos should only b added to a well established 6 months or older tank for them to have a better chance at survival. Others will chime in wit more info.

The tank is over 6 months old. I guess it's just one of those things then, but I won't be getting anymore.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Otos are very sensitive, its not uncommon to lose several when introducing them to your tank. Snails and other fish will take advantage of any dead fish in the tank pretty quickly. I would strongly recommend adding food for the otos. I like to add small pieces or cucumber/zucchini or other veggies into the tank every other day for my otos to make sure they are eating enough. Your tank is planted right?

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

Otos are very sensitive, its not uncommon to lose several when introducing them to your tank. Snails and other fish will take advantage of any dead fish in the tank pretty quickly. I would strongly recommend adding food for the otos. I like to add small pieces or cucumber/zucchini or other veggies into the tank every other day for my otos to make sure they are eating enough. Your tank is planted right?

Yes, it's heavily planted.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fish1999
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question