do aquatic frogs need airstones?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by wonton55912, Mar 19, 2010.

1. wonton55912Valued MemberMember

do they?

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

i do believe they breath air thats not in the water so air stone wouldn't be "beneficial" they still look nice ^.^ . i could be wronggg....

3. OP
    OP
    w

wonton55912Valued MemberMember

i was going to keep it with a betta and i wanted to know if i needed this very noisy airstone.

4. steed1172

a betta>?< im not sure if that would work out well..

5. OP
    OP
    w

the frog is white bettas attack colors from what i know

6. steed1172

oooohhhhkayy- the color thing is new to me, but white frog.. is it an albino clawed frog?maybe African somewhere in there..

EDIT:almost all albino African frogs are clawed froggies, not dwarfs(in personal EXP) along with reff from 

which means he could get very large, and eat the betta.

(i also looked up on Wikipedia for didn't pay attention in amphibians class.. they have lungs not gills and for sure you won't need the noisy air pump w/e you decide to do)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    w

i bought him the same size he is now

8. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinezValued MemberMember

I could be wrong... but what I have been hearing is that the frogs don't see well and will have trouble competing for food. Hense they don't do well in community tanks.
    But I will have to let someone else confirm that for you.

9. OP
    OP
    w

i thought bettas were picky

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

11. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

No, they don't need airstones.

Ime, it depends on the betta's temperament, not color.
    However, if your frog is white, it sounds like an Albino African Clawed Frog.
    Look at his front feet. Is there webbing between his toes?
    They can get really big (like baseball size) and need a much bigger tank than 1.66g.

This combo isn't a good idea, especially in your size tank. While the frog is small, the betta could pick on him. As the frog grows, he might very well eat the betta.

However, again, in your size tank, you'd be looking at some serious growth stunting with an ACF.

Again, in too small a tank, his growth might very well be stunting.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  12. OP
    OP
    w

no theres not webbing. he was huge compared to the other frogs but is still very small

13. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

He needs a bigger tank.
    Here's basic  

14. kimsworldNew MemberMember

I have had my African Clawed Frog for over a year, and she is quite large. I have a whisper quite filter in her tank, but NO airstone. I have tried putting one in the tank and it drives her NUTS!

The noise it makes, drives her crazy. She will attack it until I take it out.

I do not recommend putting fish in the tank unless you are offering a treat. My frog can eat 7 small goldfish in one night!

These frogs have incredible appetites.

15. OP
    OP
    w

my frog is only this long ____________

16. steed1172

the plecos in alot of stores are not much longer than that- yet they can get around 2FT long. just saying the froggie will get bigger, now i don't know how fast they grow, but you should have enough time to decide what your gunna do... sowwy its not working out to well for you and frog so far :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice