Do aquasoils expire?

Lystrung

I have used Fluval Stratum and it has grown my plants fine. I am just wondering if after a while I may need to add fertilizers to the soil. It has been running for 2 years and I recently decided to re-do the aquascape with new plants this time. I know ADA aqua soil has buffering properties that run out at around this time (2 years) but does the nutrients in the soil also decline? Are the nitrates and fertz to the water column enough? My Rotala Colorata is becoming greener even though I am dosing Thrive and Seachem's Iron.

Attachments

• IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 31

Vishaquatics

The nutrients do eventually exhaust in the aquasoil. Even though the aquasoil may not have as much nutrients as before, the actual texture of the soil as well as the biological maturity of the substrate is really good for a planted tank. Water column ferts are enough, but nitrates need to be low in the water column for your rotala to turn red. You could try putting some slow release nitrogen fertilizer into the substrate and use the ADA line of fertilizers (just K and micronutrients) to turn your rotala red again.

Upvote 0

Lystrung

The nutrients do eventually exhaust in the aquasoil. Even though the aquasoil may not have as much nutrients as before, the actual texture of the soil as well as the biological maturity of the substrate is really good for a planted tank. Water column ferts are enough, but nitrates need to be low in the water column for your rotala to turn red. You could try putting some slow release nitrogen fertilizer into the substrate and use the ADA line of fertilizers (just K and micronutrients) to turn your rotala red again.
I think I'll also add more light since my light fixture is getting dimmer. I'll be sure to look into the ADA fertilizers. Thank you.

Upvote 0

smee82

As far as i know aquasoils are not designed to be used without adding ferts to the water column. Their high cec ratio will keep absorbing nutrients from the water so they never expire or go bad.

Upvote 0

-Mak-

Agree with what's been said, Amazonia puts out a lot of nutrients especially N in the beginning, but after the first few weeks micros and K need to be dosed. With stuff like Fluval Stratum that doesn't release ammonia I'd start dosing the full NPK + micros line immediately.

Iron does not affect redness of plants. In addition to stronger light like other plants, Rotala will turn redder under nitrate limitation. If you have higher nitrates now than before that might be another reason it's greener.

Upvote 0

Lystrung

Agree with what's been said, Amazonia puts out a lot of nutrients especially N in the beginning, but after the first few weeks micros and K need to be dosed. With stuff like Fluval Stratum that doesn't release ammonia I'd start dosing the full NPK + micros line immediately.

Iron does not affect redness of plants. In addition to stronger light like other plants, Rotala will turn redder under nitrate limitation. If you have higher nitrates now than before that might be another reason it's greener.
Alright, I will look into NPK. Didn't really know about that. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
5 Gallon Tank Substrate aquasoil help
Replies
Views
Teris
Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies