Do aquariums stink your place up?

1. Marinero Member Member

We've been noticing that our new little 5 g tank is kinda making our apartment smell bad, even after a water change. We were going to upgrade to a 30g but now we're having second thoughts about this hobby because of the odor. Could this be because the tank is still cycling? If this 5g kinda stinks....would a 30g be 6 times as smelly? ???

2. joe Member Member

I have a 30 gal. and a 10 gal. in my room and i dont think it smells. but when my friends come in they say it smells a little. I guess i'm used to it by now. even if it does smell a little i think it is worth it ;)

3. Janmitch22 Member Member

Mine usually smell if I've overfed or if my water parameters are off, like yours are. After your tank is cycled, the smell shouldn't be there. When you finally get to gravel vac the poop and put fresh water in there, I think you'll notice a difference.
    I think also the smell should get better with a bigger tank. I've heard Gunnie and Butterfly say that the bigger the tank, the more stable it will be. I think that should apply to smell as well.  I have a five-gallon that I'm keeping a black ghost knife fish in.  It's waiting for transfer to a bigger tank, but when I overfeed on brine shrimp or when I'm behind on my water changes, I'm definitely hit with it. My ten-gallon rarely gives off anything, if at all. I only smell a slightly fishy odor when I have my nose down in the hood.  When the hood is closed, nothing.  I've only had my 55 for a week, so I can't comment on that size. I hope that helps some!

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most tanks have an earthy smell but if it stinks then something is seriously wrong. If this is the case then you need to cut your feedings down, do a water change. Check your filter and see it thats where the smell is coming from, if it is rinse it in tank water. Let us know how it goes.
    Carol

5. dahly Member Member

Charcol in the filter will help remedy smells. Change it once a month too.

6. Marinero Member Member

Well I did about a 33-40% water change and cleaned the filter a little and that seems to have done the trick ;D. I just did a water change about 2 days ago but I guess it has to do with where it's at in the whole cycle process :-\

Thanks for the help!!! ;)

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

My aquarium never stinks to me. Maybe it's also because I'm used to it. But no one ever told me that my tank smells. Similarly to the above comments, I think that a tank will never smell bad if you take good care of it. Regular water changes with gravel vacuuming, no over-feeding, and monthly charcoal changes should all be effective.

8. Janmitch22 Member Member

Hey, I thought charcoal-changing was bogus...?Or have I gotten my information wrong again? I've never changed my charcoal...haven't thought twice about it since I read that filter-changing was unnecessary. Gah, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this!

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Using charcoal/carbon is purely optional unless you need to remove meds from your tank. Some folks swear by it, and there's nothing wrong with that if you use it. I on the other hand, think it's a waste of money to use it on a regular basis. If you have a smell problem when your parameters are off, by all means try the carbon to pull some of the smell out. However, the carbon absorbs smells quickly, and will only be effective for a few days and will no longer be able to absorb any more. It maxes out pretty quickly.

10. Janmitch22 Member Member

Ohhhh. How are you doing, Gunnie?

11. tootie Initiate Member

Hello to you all.I have just read about problem fish tanks smelling it kind of like most things in life,common sence,meaning what we put into our lives is what we get out of our lives i tend to use the same prinsaple with my fish tank it depends on how much work i do on my tank to keep it in top condition meaning if i clean my tank regulary like every day i do a daily cleaning to check if every thing is working properly pumps ph levels nitrite levels to see if there is any thing dead is important to me as my tank reeks if a fish is dead inside it.To clip off dead plant and clean class and most importantly water top ups and changes which i do when ever i feel the need to provided i stick to the basic rules i dont have any problems.And if i'm slack then i seem to have heaps of problems with my tank.Good luck from Tootie.