Do Angelfish Eat Guppies??

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I have an angelfish and am wondering if she will eat feeder guppies? I will not actually feed her any guppies (it seems awfully cruel to me...?) but am curious to see what people know

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes they will. If you raise a young angel aroung guppies then there have been cases when they are full grown they wont view the guppies as food. But young/juvenile guppies will always become a meal and adult guppies are certain to vanish as well if the angel isnt conditioned correctly.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fjh said:
Yes they will. If you raise a young angel aroung guppies then there have been cases when they are full grown they wont view the guppies as food. But young/juvenile guppies will always become a meal and adult guppies are certain to vanish as well if the angel isnt conditioned correctly.
Okay thank you! I definitely have plenty of guppy fry available, so, I guess I'll have too see what happens....

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive had both kinds of angelfish. Those that would try to eat or atleast bite any tank mates and those that wouldn't eat anything but fish food. So its kind of hit and miss.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had some that even tried to eat black neons, though they wouldn't fit in their mouth without choking the angel.
I have some newer juveniles that lived with guppies during qt, they never attacked them, but when they get bigger i wouldnt trust them around the bite sized nibblingsthat guppies can be. I have housed medium sized guppies that were attempted to be eaten but the angels couldn't catch them, I have adult angels that will eat fry placed in the tank pretty quickly. I have some that just wait for flakes and lazily flip a fine towards a live snack.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually breed Altum angels and other species of angels. Most of the angels I own are quite large and I have them around smaller fish all the time and they show no aggression towards any of them. However it is possible all depends on how the Angel was raised up. You almost have to think of some fish like a cat or a dog; Depending on how they were brought up and raised, that's going to tell you how they are going to be around other animals, people, etc. I honestly think you would be fine putting whatever in with Angels, in fact they prefer dither fish to be around them, it helps with their aggression.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom