Do Angelfish and..

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do Angelfish and Tiger Barbs get along? I don't think so but a book I read told me something different.

paul_219

Reaction score
No tiger barbs dont go with angel, because tiger barbs will nip the fin of the angel fish. I wonder what the boook just told you.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree - it's better not to mix these two. I also wonder which book that was.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The title is "Tropical Fish." It also has suggetsions of combining the fishes. It said having these fishes in a 50 gallon aquarium is ideal:
4 flying foxes
1 bristle-nose catfish
20 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
5 congo tetras
1 red-tailed black shark
7 green tiger barbs
6 corys
2 kribs
and 3 angelfishes

Isn' that overcrowded?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I am not familiar with the exact length of a lot of those fish but I calculated it roughly using conservative estimates and got about 120 inches FOR PETES SAKE!!!!! What is this, an experiment on stunting or on highest possible nitrate levels?? Or maybe it's an experiment on how long it takes for all the fish to get nipped fins. GOOD GRIEF!

remind me never to get that book...

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stradius, what is the name of the author of this book? LOL, I've gotta read this book myself. The list makes a 50 gallon tank grossly overstocked. It also mixes fishes that are incompatible with each other such as angelfish and tiger barbs (besides, it's better to have 2 rather then 3 angels). It also lists way too many algae eaters: Why would anyone need as many as four flying foxes? One (or two max) would be enough for a 50 gallon tank. Moreover, why mix a Bristlenose Catfish with Flying Foxes? Makes no sense whatsoever. I am very surprised there is a book out there giving out so much misleading information!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm guessing it is written by 2 guys. It says Stadelmann and Finley.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is this the book: ?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My dad had an angel and some tiger barbs in a 10 gal. tank when he was little and he says the barbs never went after the angel. I think it has to do with; the age of the fish and if they grew up together. If you put the barbs in after they are grown a little and the angel is already there, the barbs would most likely go for the angel. I don't know exactly if that is true, I'm just going by what my dad said.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Possible if they angel is already established and it's a large tank and the angels are tiny and the angel takes control but probably not, it all depends on the fish, I'v seen some WEIRD combos that shouldn't work that do but it's rare, better to not take the risk. By the way a 10gallon would be too small for an angel though. Most of the time tiger barbs are commonly called bas$#rds because they terrorize tank members so it's better to not mess with them.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of fish compatibility depends on the personality of the specific fish. For example, I have heard of Bettas living as community fish, although the majority wouldn't work. Since there's no way of knowing beforehand whether you will have a fish who just happens to differ from the norm, I would rather go by a better safe than sorry rule...if there is a good chance the fish won't work together don't do it, even if a few fish have proven exceptions. Or else you could try something if there is a decent chance the fish will work as long as you can separate the fish if necessary.
I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible in that case the Angels and Tigers worked together but I wouldn't try it again because it probably won't work. Also just for the record a 10 gallon is way too small for an Angel, and also they like a few friends (other Angels).

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isabella said:
Is this the book: ?
I don't know, it looks exactly the same except the cover is different.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom