Do All Your Bettas Interact With You?

ap4lmtree

I have five bettas, and three of them interact with me, but two of them rather ignore me and pay attention to just what is in the tank. Given, I have had these two new bettas for only a week, but will they interact and pay more attention to me as I look at them as time goes by or do you have some bettas that completely ignore you since you got them/

thanks

Kasshan

Do they ignore you during feeding time?

techfool

tbh my interactive betta is much more troublesome. I think because he is so interested in other life forms he gets restless on his own and glass surfs a lot. he also fin bites. A tankmate is not the answer, he would kill it but is okay with nerites which he ignores.
my other betta likes looking at the stuff in his tank, is a bit more boring with me but I think he is a happier fish. that said, he has become more interactive now he knows I feed him.
like people, I think there is something to love in all bettas.

NavigatorBlack

By nature, Bettas can only see things that are close to them. They have a predators' eyes, evolved for murky swamp water and mosquito hunting. There is no call for them to see distance. They have excellent in close vision.
We are probably lumpy shadows to them, and they may react more to the vibrations of our individual footsteps than to all they see. I find they focus in close, as you'd expect, until they learn where the food comes from. At that point, you interest them greatly. We are enormous things to them, and even with my glasses off, I could spot a blue whale going up my street. If it threw me pizzas, I'd adjust and make friends with it.

BittenByTheBug

Omg... a Blue whale tossing pizzas...

Mine interact with me. They’ll try to eat the freckles off my arm when I mess around with the plants in the tank, and they go up to the front of the glass, trying to figure out whether or not I’m dropping in “pizzas” or not.

CHIMERA

Omg... a Blue whale tossing pizzas...

Mine interact with me. They’ll try to eat the freckles off my arm when I mess around with the plants in the tank, and they go up to the front of the glass, trying to figure out whether or not I’m dropping in “pizzas” or not.

So adorable that they'll try to eat your freckles. My bettas, on the other hand, will just nip my arm nonetheless. (Especially my CT female)

FlutterFish

Bettas are different by nature. My bettas usually ignore me or dart away into the plants when they see me for the first few weeks or so, and then gradually warm up to me as soon as they realize that I'm the source of their bloodworms. Of course, this might differ - some bettas might be jumpy and take a very long time to adjust, or some may be excited to see you and jump every time you go near the tank - which is the case with my female.

Zerologist

Bettas are one of the most social fishes out there. It will always depend on your betta's personality. Some bettas are very easy to be friends with but some are hard-to-get.

So far, all the bettas I have owned all interact with me. Whenever I pass by their tanks, they would greet me and follow me in the direction I am walking to. They follow and flare at my finger too! I also play with them sometimes... I use a stick and dip it in the tank. When, they see it, they flare and rush towards it and try to bite and catch it as I let them chase the stick around. I use my finger sometimes though!

NavigatorBlack

I'd be curious -do they flare more when you wear dark clothing? I had one that did, and I decided I might be creating a mirror effect with my clothes. I've always wondered if that's a pattern, but I only thought of that being the cause when my last Betta was an old guy. I don't keep them anymore.

Piaelliott

I'd be curious -do they flare more when you wear dark clothing? I had one that did, and I decided I might be creating a mirror effect with my clothes. I've always wondered if that's a pattern, but I only thought of that being the cause when my last Betta was an old guy. I don't keep them anymore.
That's an interesting question. I don't know about bettas but I usually wear non colored clothes. One day I was wearing a bright read sweater and thought all my fish went missing. They are usually out and about and when they see me they come to the front. Then I saw them peek out behind the plants, so funny. They soon adjusted to the color and didn't hide anymore.

BittenByTheBug

So adorable that they'll try to eat your freckles. My bettas, on the other hand, will just nip my arm nonetheless. (Especially my CT female)

It IS cute, but there is one who does it who actually hurts me a bit.
ea31751de1e2c887b4b99bcc9106cb88.jpg

^this one. Vicious.

JamieXPXP

my betta loves swimming around and through my hand when I have to put plants back into place, follows my finger when I drag it on the glass (normally do this when he doesn't see his food) and flares at my sister whenever she comes into my room lol

CHIMERA

^this one. Vicious.

Very pretty.
I've always loved koi (as you can see from my avatar)

techfool

^this one. Vicious.
One of my bettas bites me, it's quite hard. It's a lot harder than a guppy or danio bite. I think he needs live food to satisfy his hunting instinct.

CHIMERA

One of my bettas bites me, it's quite hard. It's a lot harder than a guppy or danio bite. I think he needs live food to satisfy his hunting instinct.

What I do to stimulate my fish is to use tweezers to hold a bloodworm or brine shrimp and make it seem like it's swimming around. All of my bettas get very interested and hunt. It makes things easier for me when I'm doing maintenance because they somewhat recognize that I'm not food.

California L33

Try signaling that you're about to feed them- pass your hand between the tank light and the hood a certain number of times, every time. Make sure the room lights are on so they can see out. I feed mine with the dull end of a cocktail swizzle stick which is kept out of sight until feeding time, and you can bet he knows what it means when he sees that. When I was training him I'd put my face right to the glass (very slowly) to compensate for their near sightedness. And while I have no doubt that they are near sighted, I think they have better vision than people give them credit for. It might be blurry, but they can see deeply into a room. A few months ago I began changing the feeding signal to a wave of just my fingertips, and he's come out of his hiding place when I waved from almost ten feet away.

I'm not saying yours will be so interactive. Bettas are pretty self-superior little creatures and yours might just think it undignified to interact with the help. They might just be like- feed me; clean my waste; go away until I'm hungry.

JamieXPXP

haha yes bettas are stubborn fish with too much pride

BettaPonic

He hunts around the tank. He is scared of the Cories. He hates the Guppy.

Sen

I think that all my bettas have distinct personalities; whether this is actually true or not I can't say for sure, but it's what I like to believe!

My late crowntail was pretty affectionate and kind of the fish equivalent of a puppy. He would do tricks and beg for attention, and every morning when I said goodbye to him before leaving for work, he would stay in the corner of the tank closest to the door and watch me leave.

20170622_131238.jpg
20170622_131430.jpg

My delta tail is pretty aloof and quite prissy. He'll spend most of his time lying down in different places or sitting at the top of his castle tower decoration judging everything beneath him. If I don't feed him on time, he gets mad and flares at me. Usually he'll move his head to face me, but won't swim over unless I wave the feeding toothpick at him.

20170323_144725.jpg

My halfmoon is hyperactive. He likes to patrol his tank and every time I put my face near the tank and call his name he'll zoom right over. He will taunt the filter and also try to get stuck in weird places. I think he really likes his plants.

20170826_142845.jpg

YoBoiBlaze

My 2 betta's are exact opposite of each other, the one goes crazy every time I step foot in my room, the other one could care less if I was having a stroke.

BettaMru

All the bettas I've owned were interactive. Isn't that their nature ?
My tank is just next to my bed and when I wave my hand, he comes and starts swimming up and down near the tank wall. So they can surely see from a distance.

Platylover

Every betta I’ve owned was very interactive, while some I’m sure had different reasons as to why. My female veil was so aggressive, pretty sure she was only “interactive” so she could figure out how to destroy me. Keshet on the other hand loves the attention and always rushes over to see me. My others have been varying on excitement levels seeing me.

DanielleFish

My boy Shy Guy will come running -- er, swimming -- when I call his name. It's so cute to watch! I like to think it's because he has some deep emotional attachment to me, but really, I think it's because he wants some bloodworms.

SharkBait69

My king betta ignores me but my other male loves attention, he is like a puppy and whenever I walk by the tank he comes out and says hI to me.

RobinWhiskers

My Betta is quite feisty when in her cup so when I bought her I thought she'd be a big feisty but adorable meany. However, she can't care less about people but she knows what those red feeding tongs mean! She is dealing with some possible internal parasites that can't seem to be fixed so she isn't as spritely as she usually is.

ap4lmtree

She is dealing with some possible internal parasites that can't seem to be fixed so she isn't as spritely as she usually is.

So you gave up on curing her of parasites? How do you know she has parasites?

Jess2017

My 2 betta's are exact opposite of each other, the one goes crazy every time I step foot in my room, the other one could care less if I was having a stroke.
That Betta in your avatar is quite beautiful!

Jess2017

Sen I quite enjoyed reading your post. My Betta loves the plants too. He acts like they are his jungle gym!

YoBoiBlaze

That Betta in your avatar is quite beautiful!
That is mine, the one who could care less about me lol

Jess2017

That is mine, the one who could care less about me lol
He is soooo gorgeous! What's his name? Where did you get him?

YoBoiBlaze

He is soooo gorgeous! What's his name? Where did you get him?
His name is H2O Delirious (yes the YouTuber) I got him off of aquabid from a seller named Tombeck. The betta cam all the way from Thailand

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views
Anna Score
Replies
Views