Do All Tanks Have Biofilm? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishyparents14, Aug 19, 2019.

1. fishyparents14

fishyparents14New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    and a follow up question is... how do I know if I have biofilm? Reason for asking is I have 2 nerites who've done a great job cleaning the tank of algae, so now I'm thinking what to feed them when they've eaten all the algae. I've tried algae wafers and vegetables, they ignored them. But they seem to be always on the walls munching on something invisible. Is that the biofilm? I also have Indian Almond leaves and I heard shrimps eat that too. Can I also feed that to my nerites?

2. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    Probably, I never supplemental feed my nerites and they are constantly well fed, even in my newly set up tanks. Do you have any driftwood? I think decomposing wood gives them a pretty consistent food source. They might enjoy decomposing almond leaves as well. I know they also eat some species of anubias like the nana variety (drives me crazy when my anubias has holes munched in from my snails)

3. OP
    OP
    fishyparents14

fishyparents14New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, I do have driftwood. And yes my anubias nana leaves have holes in them too!!!! I never suspected the snails to be the culprit since I thought they don't eat the plants! That's good to know then that they'll be ok food-wise. Thanks! :)

4. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    No problem!! Your snails will be just fine ;)