Do Algae-reducing Drops Work?

1. J

JoeBK Initiate Member

I have some algae build-up in my 50 gallon tank and even though I clean it well, it persists. I was wondering if algae-reducing drops work and if they are harmful or anything like that. I'm also getting some live plants soon to help deal with the algae, but if they don't work, the drops would be my next option. I've tried reducing the amount of food I feed the fish, and it doesn't seem to help. If anyone has used drops before please let me know if they work or not.

Thanks!

2. Miaw

Miaw Member Member

Are you sure you can't squeeze in a school of otocinclus? :D

They're charming, and help with algae as a bonus.

3. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Member Member

Like @Miaw said add some algae eating fishes. Also, check your lighting. Too much lighting leads to algae blooms. Also how much are you feeding and are you doing water changes?

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore :)
    I personally wouldn't use chemicals nor get a fish to rid of algae. Keep in mind fish like otos also need an established tank to thrive.

Some information please.
    What does the algae look like?
    How long are your lights on for? Is it near a window?
    What are the parameters of the tank's water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
    Is this a new tank setup?

5. Miaw

Miaw Member Member

My kitchen tank is exposed to sunlight and did build up a lot of algae (I allowed it because my shrimplets were loving it). I'm guessing you don't have exposure to sunlight?

6. OP
    OP
    J

JoeBK Initiate Member

It's not exposed to too much sunlight, only a small portion of the tank is next to the window, and the curtain is closed. It's mostly bacteria in the water making it hazy, but I don't think it's a bacterial bloom because I've tried cutting back on filtration and water changes but it stays. I am probably using the light for too long as there is enough natural light during the day to have it off. It seems a little dangerous to put any sort of algae eater in the tank because I have a goldfish with a well developed slime coat that could attract those kinds of fish. I do water changes every week (minus when I tried cutting back on them when I thought it was a bacterial bloom). The tank setup is about 2 months old by now. As far as I know the nitrate/ammonia/nitrite levels are pretty low. All the fish are very healthy. I'm fine with not using the drops as I was wondering if they would kill too much algae. I have two filters that both have bio-wheels on them, so ammonia isn't really an issue with those and the consistent partial water changes.

Thanks for the replies!

7. clk89

May I have a exact reading on your tank's water parameters please? "low" means lots of things to lots of people. ;)
    Even being partially by a window could certainly be one of the causes of the algae.

8. OP
    OP
    J

JoeBK Initiate Member

I also have a small tank off to the side with some fry that has had no issues. It has a live java fern in it and is in medium sunlight throughout the day. It doesn't have a light.

I know this sounds a little weird, but I can't get the exact measurements until Thursday. But I will have them by then.

9. OP
    OP
    J

JoeBK Initiate Member

If you're still interested, although I can't get the ammonia readings, the nitrite level is 0, and the nitrate level about 5. Disclaimer: I did do a 70% water change this morning and the tank looks very clear! I hope it stays that way. I've added a small bunch of moss and a java fern and I hope both will spread.

10. clk89

Moss and java fern are both pretty slow growing, so I'm not sure how well they will compete against the algae.