Do add aquarium salt when setting up a new tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Scott2848, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Scott2848Valued MemberMember

One of my friends said his fish kept dying then one of his friends suggested aquarium salt and then his fish stopped dying. People have told me not to add aquarium salt. I have two mollies in my ten gallon and I'm gonna add them to my 29 gallon tank today.

Ever since I've had my 10 gallon tank I've always added aquarium salt after doing water changes. I set up my tank yesterday but should I add some aquarium salt to it? If so how many tablespoons for 29 gallons?

2. rcordova233Well Known MemberMember

The mollies can definitely handle the salt, they're brackish fish, but there's no point to it. Salt is like the old wives tale of the aquarium world. Everyone use to say, "Put salt in your tank and everything will work out!!!" Salt doesn't do much if anything. Your fish won't benefit from salt. Even mollies who are brackish and sometimes marine fish can live prefectly fine in freshwater.

Was your friend's tank cycled? If it wasn't then thats what was killing his fish. Eventually the tank cycled with all the fish in it, and was able to suplort new fish.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't, it's not necessary and it can cause problems with some fish. Mollies would probably be ok with it since they can be in saltwater and brackish as well. I imagine your friend has something wrong with his tank, aquarium salt will probably not fix it.

4. Lapd789New MemberMember

Really I hadn't heard that before. I always read that adding the aquarium salt will help prevent sickness or anything like that.

5. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It can, but it cause stress as well because the salt aggravates the slime coat to make it produce more. I do use it when I have a fish with an injury though, but it's only when I have the fish in a QT.

6. rcordova233Well Known MemberMember

It doesn't. It's just something people thought was helping their fish until they realised their tank wasn't cycled.
    Garlic does have some of those benefits though. In a lot of cases it prevented fish from getting parasites, and strengthened their immune systen. Food with garlic is definitely something that will work, to a degree of course.

7. Lapd789New MemberMember

Oh wow that's very interesting thanks for the info. I guess ill look more into that.

8. rcordova233Well Known MemberMember

An injury like a scape or something like that could be an instance when you can use salt, but stress guard also prevents infections and helps recovery. But to each their own.

9. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Yep that's what I'm talking about.:D I once had a cherry barbs with a puncture wound(don't ask me how, guessing she got it on a fake plant when I had those) and I used AQ salt and Melafix I believe. Fixed her up in a few days.

10. rcordova233Well Known MemberMember

11. Scott2848Valued MemberMember

Ok I guess I won't add the salt.

12. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Sco...

Here's the skinny on aquarium salt. A little, around a teaspoon or so in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water will do some good things. For instance, a trace in the tank water will retard the growth of parasites, increases the function of breathing organs (osmoregulation) and provides minerals for good health. But, large weekly water changes and a good diet will do the same.

If you're a good water changer and feed your fish a balanced diet of low phosphate flakes, some freeze dried food and frozen. Your fish should be fine without the added salt.

I do both. Feed my fish a good diet, change out a lot of water and use a bit of standard aquarium salt.

Old