Do A Nitrogen Cycle For A Five Gallon Betta Tank? I Use Bottled Spring Water Because The Ph Is Good.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Hun (Betta Girl) said:
I have sand because I have living plants. I also have a good heater and I ordered sponge filters for this tank.
Welcome!

so first question: have you got your fish yet or are you going to do a fishless cycle? our advice changes depending on your answer.

second, there's no real point in starting to cycle yet if you don't have your filter. the beneficial bacteria that will cycle your tank live in your filter on the media inside.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so here is how the Nitrogen cycle goes:

Fish waste and food creates ammonia particles.
Ammonia (NH3) kills fish. BUT luckily there is a bacteria that eats it and converts it to nitrite (NO2).
Nitrite kills fish. BUT luckily there is a bacteria that eats it and converts it to nitrate (NO3).
Nitrate is fine in small amounts and can be removed by plants and water changes.

Buy some test kits (pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia) and pure ammonia.
Start your cycle by adding pure ammonia until your tank measures 4ppm ammonia.
Leave it for a few weeks until you start to detect nitrite in your tank. Then leave it until nitrate appears and ammonia and nitrite are below 0.5.
Now you can add your fish.

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jenoli42 said:
Welcome!

so first question: have you got your fish yet or are you going to do a fishless cycle? our advice changes depending on your answer.

second, there's no real point in starting to cycle yet if you don't have your filter. the beneficial bacteria that will cycle your tank live in your filter on the media inside.
Thank you! I waited and used beneficial bacteria after I got my sponge filters. It only took one week and my ph is 7.6, my ammonia is a big fat ZERO!, and my nitrites are a big fat ZERO!! And my nitrates are between 10 & 20ppm! I tested the water, came up with these readings and the next day the girls went in! Thank you again!

Discus-Tang said:
Ok so here is how the Nitrogen cycle goes:

Fish waste and food creates ammonia particles.
Ammonia (NH3) kills fish. BUT luckily there is a bacteria that eats it and converts it to nitrite (NO2).
Nitrite kills fish. BUT luckily there is a bacteria that eats it and converts it to nitrate (NO3).
Nitrate is fine in small amounts and can be removed by plants and water changes.

Buy some test kits (pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia) and pure ammonia.
Start your cycle by adding pure ammonia until your tank measures 4ppm ammonia.
Leave it for a few weeks until you start to detect nitrite in your tank. Then leave it until nitrate appears and ammonia and nitrite are below 0.5.
Now you can add your fish.
Thank you very much!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Hun (Betta Girl) said:
Thank you! I waited and used beneficial bacteria after I got my sponge filters. It only took one week and my ph is 7.6, my ammonia is a big fat ZERO!, and my nitrites are a big fat ZERO!! And my nitrates are between 10 & 20ppm! I tested the water, came up with these readings and the next day the girls went in! Thank you again!
yay excellent!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom